Notices

Sweats and chills

Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sweats and chills

Did anyone get the sweats really bad and hot and cold chills at the same time? Im 20 hours in and barely hanging on.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Not sure what you are detoxing from but it is pretty normal with alcohol. Hang in there, make sure you stay hydrated (Gatorade is great) and seek medical help if it gets worst and you start to hallucinate.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jdre - based on your prior posts I assume this is an opi detox, right? With opis the sweats and hot flashes / chills were an early symptom for me. It would typically be around the same time I had an inner restlessness and couldn't get comfortable no matter what.

A hot bath would provide relief. I really can't think of anything else that worked for it besides a bath.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes opiates. How long until the sweats, hot flashes and chills go away? Last time I detoxed I didn't get these symptoms like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly when they went away. Once the RLS starting kicking in it sort of morphed into a crawling skin sensation. It did seem to be the worst when the RLS was at its worst (days 3 - 4). It was worst at night.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's weird how we all have the same physical makeup but our w/d can be so different. I guess that's when your body's chemistry plus what you're withdrawing from and all that come into play. I can't believe how much I'm sweating; it's just pouring off me and I'm hot and cold at the same time and cannot get comfy. I don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight. Two more hours and I'll have day one complete.
Ugh
Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It really is bad at first, but you start to notice improvements around day 3.

There is stuff OTC and prescribed that can help, non-addictive stuff. Otherwise, stay hydrated, have clean sheets and clothes on hand during the night.

I have done it, others have done it, you can do it.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you have any NA meetings near you? Helped me to go to a meeting and get out of my own head. I talked and shared and others called me throughout the days, someone even came to sit with me. During those days I felt like the world was a bad dark place but it GETS BETTER> I took so many hot baths, read through SR, watched the movie step brothers over and over (makes me laugh) journaled, cried, called people from NA and cried more…. As much as I tried to keep it all to myself I wanted the outside support.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there, for me the hot and cold chills lasted about 3-4 days along with other stuff. But from then on things did get much better. However I did sweat a lot for a couple of weeks without the chills.

It's well worth it and doesn't last for long in the scheme of things.

Hang in there
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was sweating so bad during an oxy wd I had to stuff paper towels in my armpits at work. From what I remember, it lasted 3 or 4 days.