Notices

Time for a change

Old 05-02-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for a change

I was looking up how to quit binge drinking and found this site so i thought it might be a good place to start. I drink every three to five days and today is day three so i know the cravings will start kicking in and be bad by sunday. I had quit for three weeks. I get a physical every year and this year everything is fine. Liver, kidneys, blood pressure but the good report was a big wake up call. Why not quit before it starts going bad. I don't want to hit rock bottom. I still do the drunk calls and posts on fb but im embarrassed now instead of thinking its hilariously funny. My drinking hasn't gotten worse but it will. I used to watch that show intervention and think wow i so don't have a problem but now im thinking they were probably at my point and never thought they would get that bad. Im thinking of looking into AA but don't know if its the right fit.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Free. If you want to stop drinking you have come to a great spot. Smart move to quit before it gets any worse. As far as AA goes, you won't know if you fit if you don't go. You will find lots of support here. I go every day to the 24 hour post and pledge not to quit for the next 24 hours. That helps me a lot. Also we have meetings here every Tuesday and Friday nights. 9 pm Easter time. You might check out the chat room here too. There are usually some people in there. When I first quit drinking I was in there a lot. It helps. Good luck and Welcome to SR.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome
You seem very self-aware that you may have a problem. That's a great start.
I binge drank, too. And you're very astute to realize it can get worse. I'm here to tell you it does.
Before too long, I was downing shooters of whiskey at 8am, then beer the rest of the day.
This is after, like you, I would get the urge too drink every fourth day (for me.) That led me to my morning breakfast of whiskey.
It was all over then. I was a drunk.

AA helped me stop, along with this site. I'm glad you're here, you'll find a lot of support.
Again, very wise of you to realize you may have a problem. Save yourself the depths I sank to.

Best to you, and it's great to have you here.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! You're smart to quit now before something really bad happens. I wish I'd quit when I was younger.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Free2, welcome to SR
Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are lucky if you can quit before things get worse.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are very smart to have taken a look at this now. The sooner you stop, the sooner your real life will begin.

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Free2!! I think it is very smart that you are giving sobriety a go before things go downhill. There is awesome support and information here.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can decide to not let whats coming happen.

Just don't pickup the first drink and get rid of what's in the house.
Make a plan, so other things.

Are you seeking additional support other than SR? AA maybe?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have anything in the house right now. I went grocery shopping yesterday and didn't get wine or anything. I just dread whats coming. I don't feel strong. I have to think how it i'll feel if i cave. Depressed, weak, embarrassed. Putting up a front is getting tiring. Its weird. Most of my friends are from alcoholic families and we either don't drink or drink lightly when together. My mother never drank until i was in my twenties then her and i would go out to the bars and get drunk. I saw my mother maybe drunk 3 times before we started partying together. I haven't thought about that in years.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Free2

Just because it's something you've done for a while, doesn't mean it's inevitable this time - you can endure the cravings and make different decisions

you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

you had two identical threads. I merged them

D
Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Free, I love that your good doctor's report was a "wake up call!" You sound incredibly self aware. You are in a great spot for support and understanding. Welcome!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im glad to be here. Thanks everyone for the support and kind words. It really gave me a sense of strength that i can get thru. Hubby just offered me a beer and i said no i'll stick with diet coke. He also starts wanting alcohol on the third day but he can stop after one where i most likely won't. We have a friend over and i know if i drink the first one i'll stop until she leaves.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it thru last night. I made some detox water and drank that, diet soda and tea last night. I think hubby missed his drinking partner but didn't push it. Im not telling him about this site or talk to him about being serious about quitting this time. He'll just say i don't have a problem and it won't hurt to drink one or two i just have to have the self control to stop. I asked him if this was possible why was AA around? Maybe he doesn't want a wife with a problem but it's going to be a big problem if i keep ignoring it. Id hate to think it makes him feel better about himself seeing he can control his drinking where i can't.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok the craving is getting rediculous. Im drinking a diet coke and had an overwhelming urge to put rum in it. I don't even like rum! I can't remember the last time i had rum. I keep thinking i'll wake up with a hangover tomorrow. I won't though. I have to stay the course. Three reasons not to drink: i went three weeks without drinking before, im feeling great (except for this overwhelming craving), im at day four and i don't want to start over again. Why can't i just be like other people and stop after one?