Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Anyone else forgotten what the high feels like?

Notices

Old 05-01-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a good thing to me but I find it a little curious. I've read alot here on craving a drug so I tried to envision it but my mind comes up blank. I remember all the woe like it was yesterday but nothing on the buzz.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tired - interesting question. I didn't think it would ever be possible to forget the high, but it feels like it has faded substantially. It isn't something I want to concentrate on hard enough to find out though.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't remember either. It's a strange thing because we lived it day in day out and it should be the most familiar feeling, yet I can't quite remember exactly how the high feels. I think that's part of the many problems with addiction. That "chasing the dream" feeling. Always was so desperate to get that instant gratification, never thinking of the consequences. Not anymore though! Day 5 woot!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember as it was only yesterday for me. And I can almost taste it again when an urge hits.

That chasing the dream thing

But the dream never never comes true

The dream of that one time when it felt so good. And the next thousand times it was never that same feeling. Now it's paranoid insanity after the first hit and then I turn into like an animal wanting more more more.

Perhaps you still remember that part?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Four812, you might be onto something there. I went forever just taking pills to keep from getting sick and didn't have much of a high. Looking back, I haven't felt the high in a long time, even before I quit.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been clean from coke for about 4 years now, and clean from pills going on 5 months May 4th. Unfortunately, I've needed a prescription for painkillers due to a migraine and abscessed teeth, so I remember very well what the high feels like. Funny though - when you're taking them for pain, it's not quite the same LOL.

The strangest thing I find is that even after all of this time, I still feel like I remember what the high from cocaine is. I don't remember it exactly, but I try not to think about it as it makes me miss the "fun times".
Old 05-01-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredEnough View Post
It's a good thing to me but I find it a little curious. I've read alot here on craving a drug so I tried to envision it but my mind comes up blank. I remember all the woe like it was yesterday but nothing on the buzz.
That is a good problem to have since many people only remember the good times or the good feelings that came with drugs and not all of the hell and being sick and ruined relationships and blown money. Whenever I think about the high it is good to beat it the hell out of my brain with remembering the low.

After 2+ years clean now I still remember the feeling of my first shot of dope and I am not going to try to say I didn't think it was the greatest thing in the world at the time. Yep it felt unbelievable. Luckily today I know that I can never go back and never get back to the feeling of the first time again. A whole lot of bad sh*t comes with it and I am so glad it is part of my past. It took quite a while for me to finally realize that.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been off benzos and Ambien for 10 months and I really forget what it felt like, and I have had no desire. (ok last night at 2am when my ring finger blew up after an injury and I had to sleep with my wedding band on that was so tight I couldn't breath. They just cut if off at the ER), that was the only time, I just wanted to zone out and have it be morning.

But when I think about that fuzzy feeling it is not with a craving, it almost makes me nauseous. Does anyone else feel that way?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AlmA

God I still remember...
But it was getting harder to feel it...
and you end up doing more stuff...
and at the end you can not remember it anyway!!!

The complete relaxation and feeling the soul how it leaves the body!!!
Completely gone!!!
Wish I would not have read your question!!!
I am on b*** day 6!!!

Why do you want to remember the High?
I tend to forget all the bad stuff that comes with it!
I got to remind myself all the bad stuff or I fall again!
If I think about how good I felt, I would never be clean!!!

THE HIGH AT WHAT PRICE??????????
HOW MUCH WE PAY FOR IT???
IS THAT HIGH WORTH MORE THAT ALL THE SUFFERING THAT COMES WITH IT????
DOES IT BALANCE OUT OR DOES IT OUTWEIGHS???
Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Aiko. I'm sorry if it made your time tougher, that wasn't my intent.

I don't want to remember it or experience it. I just found it odd (and helpful) that I have nothing to crave since I can't remember it anyway.

Congrats on day 6!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

never forget it thats the problem
Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And its f**King great its just all the **** that goes with it /after it /getting it etc etc
Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dont think I will ever forget or feel again the buzz i got with the first line i sniffed.And thats where the problem starts
Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AlmA

SniffyGuy50

We might not forget,
but Is better to remember what comes with it!!!
The insanity that drives us to do things and to loose people around us.

There is another form of life that is greater than the HIGH
If you go out of our consort zone and cross your fears,
there are plenty of opportunities to live.

Rather Live than Stoned!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I can only remember the high when I'm in an emotionally bad place. I suddenly go back to that feeling of escaping I want. Now it almost turns into a meditation place because I try to take my mind out of the situation. I'm still great at escaping situations I'm not comfortable with but in healthier ways. When I think of the high, at the same time I think of the withdrawal.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No but sometimes I forget how lousy and miserable it was.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tired:
I sometimes can actually feel as though that high is coming over me... I get goosebumps...and start to smell it.. feel it.. it's very weird. Even the bad highs..

For me 'H' was the end all be all. I was where u were w/ pills and should have gotten clean at that point.

i told all this to my dr yesterday - I was literally getting goosebumps talking about it, and he gave me some mind type tricks to practice that I have been doing...to help with that, and keep me wanting to stay sober..

I'll let u know how it works out.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stopper what were the tricks? Do you mind sharing?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

nope not at all, I actually started to do it and then stopped cuz i got overwelmed. I can't seem to get it typed the way it should sound...? I am typing it up on word and I'll post it on my blog in a bit. I'll shoot you a message.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

TE I can't remember....I consider it a big blessing. However, I do remember how horrible I felt in withdrawal. I think it's because I am consciously trying to never forget how bad things got. I purposely zero in on the newbie posters, who are at day 1 thru day 7, not because I'm a sadist but because its necessary for my recovery.

I think it falls into the childbirth category....that our mind naturally forgets pain and suffering. (Did that make sense? Maybe the pills caused memory loss?) I better get back to packing.