Notices

I'm New Here

Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm New Here

Hello Everyone.....

I want to introduce myself, as I am new to the community. I am a 48 year old female and I have been really struggling with the alcohol issue for at least the past ten years. I know I can't handle alcohol but for some reason there is a part of me that wants to be like "everyone" else and be able to drink moderately. I am working on coming to accept that I can't. You all know the story.....one is NEVER enough! I had a horrible hangover on Saturday from drinking Friday night and swore I would never do it again. I didn't drink Saturday night and woke up yesterday feeling fabulous......I was up and out the door by 7:30 a.m. and had energy all day. We did yard work yesterday and for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to have a beer (which I normally don't drink...I am a wino), which turned into 3 + two mixed drinks and then a glass of wine. Really??? After feeling the way I did Saturday and then feeling so different on Sunday, I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened yesterday. I was fully committed to not drink, had a plan and then blew it. I felt pretty rough this morning but I managed to drag myself to work.

I am looking forward to getting and giving support and getting this monkey off my back. It seems I don't even really like the way the first drink makes me feel anymore, yet I keep falling into the same old habit. It's time for a change......
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Winesucks and welcome to SR!

Well you have made the biggest step I think. Admitting you cannot drink in moderation.

Second great step is coming here on SR, you will find support and be able to share your struggles with people that have been there.

Other things to consider is detox, this needs to be safe and can be dangerous in some cases. Seeing your doctor and being honest about your drinking is great idea.

Lastly some need additional support, inpatient or outpatient programs, AA, AVRT, Smart recovery etc. You can customize your sobriety recipe until you discover what works the best for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome WS, you have a found a wonderful place to find good advice and support to help you! I struggle just like you....

Stay around!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by WineSucks View Post
seems I don't even really like the way the first drink makes me feel anymore, yet I keep falling into the same old habit. It's time for a change......
Habits can be changed. Addiction...a little tougher. Those have to be recovered from. Accept that you can't ever drink and find a way to live without alcohol in your life.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Truth be told, I honestly didn't WANT to drink like normal people, I wanted to continue drinking the way I wanted to, just with the same 'no consequences' normal people experience. I had to get honest with myself.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Happy, Joyous & Free

Hey, WS! Welcome!

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. And patient. You seem to know that you have a problem. That's good. Acceptance is the 1st step in recovery. I highly recommend that you contact your local Central Office (Intergroup) of Alcoholics Anonymous. IN AA you will find support and great fellowship. You must find something to fill the void left in your life when you stop drinking.

Most of us have found that we cannot quit on the basis of self-knowledge or self-will. No matter how great the wish, we simply cannot stop on our own. AA can help. Give it a try (an honest try). Go to a meeting every day for a month (more if you can). If you don't like what we have to offer, you can have your misery back (with interest).

You will find support here as well. We've all been exactly where you are. We know how you feel and we all encourage you to seek help. We cannot do this alone and you NEVER have to be alone again.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. I hope you find a lot of support here.

One was never enough for me, either. You're not alone any more.
Many of us have successfully quit drinking. You can, too. There are different methods that can help, and I hope you check them out.
It's great to have you here.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the responses. Yes, I do know that I have a problem and have known for awhile. I am now ready to accept it and do something about it and I appreciate the support and encouragement. I am am excited to pursue a life without AL and I am afraid at the same time....this is probably pretty normal. I have been looking at AA meetings in my area and am thinking of going. I have tried it in the past but I wasn't serious and kept thinking I could continue to drink. I am ready to pursue a sober life.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Go to an AA meeting as soon as possible and pursue the program as if your life depends on it!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Happy, Joyous & Free

WS, I was in and out of AA for 4 years. It began to work for me when I WANTED to stay sober. Before that time, I had really wanted to continue to drink. Once I chose sobriety, the rest was in God's hands (and He hasn't failed me yet).
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hello Everyone.....

I want to introduce myself, as I am new to the community. I am a 48 year old female and I have been really struggling with the alcohol issue for at least the past ten years. I know I can't handle alcohol but for some reason there is a part of me that wants to be like "everyone" else and be able to drink moderately. I am working on coming to accept that I can't. You all know the story.....one is NEVER enough! I had a horrible hangover on Saturday from drinking Friday night and swore I would never do it again. I didn't drink Saturday night and woke up yesterday feeling fabulous......I was up and out the door by 7:30 a.m. and had energy all day. We did yard work yesterday and for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to have a beer (which I normally don't drink...I am a wino), which turned into 3 + two mixed drinks and then a glass of wine. Really??? After feeling the way I did Saturday and then feeling so different on Sunday, I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened yesterday. I was fully committed to not drink, had a plan and then blew it. I felt pretty rough this morning but I managed to drag myself to work.

I am looking forward to getting and giving support and getting this monkey off my back. It seems I don't even really like the way the first drink makes me feel anymore, yet I keep falling into the same old habit. It's time for a change......

I think sometimes you just need to break the cycle, you said yourself you felt so good the following morning after abstaining from alcohol, I think because we spent so long drinking it really was like a hobbie or pastime when you think about it! My hobby is golf which in the summer months I would spend maybe 20 hours per week playing, compare that to my drinking and you would see I drank more hours than I did golfing, scary thought. Life change is harder as we get older as we get more set in our ways but sometimes the change just has to be made for the greater benefit of yourself and those around you. If I can help in any way I will do my very best. I totally understand the frustration and desire to get the monkey off your back.
Be strong and keep posting on this marvellous forum, there are so many great people here who have helped me more than they will ever know.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello WS, you have come to the right place! Welcome!
For me, moderation does not work. I think you will find excellent resources here to guide you on your sober journey. It is hard work, but it is so very worth it.
All the best.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, WS. Glad you found SR; it is a great site for information and a wonderful community for support, encouragement and understanding.

Wine was my poison, too, WS, and moderation never, ever worked for me. You are not alone.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome WS! I hope you keep coming back to SR it is a great support. I know I have posted the exact phrase as you here once "monkey on my back" - it feels that way and I so want to get rid of that damn monkey too and be free x
Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you WineSucks - you are not alone.

I did the same thing for many years - broke all the promises I made to myself. Always thinking I could use willpower to control how much I drank - I was determined to somehow turn myself into a social drinker. I almost lost my life discovering I couldn't touch the stuff. There was no control once the first drink hit my system.

Glad you are here seeking help and encouragement. You can do this.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thank you all so much for the responses. Yes, I do know that I have a problem and have known for awhile. I am now ready to accept it and do something about it and I appreciate the support and encouragement. I am am excited to pursue a life without AL and I am afraid at the same time....this is probably pretty normal. I have been looking at AA meetings in my area and am thinking of going. I have tried it in the past but I wasn't serious and kept thinking I could continue to drink. I am ready to pursue a sober life.
That is the important part, you need to want to change and be serious about per suing your sobriety.

I think you will do it this time.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Winesucks - tons of support, wisdom and understanding here

D
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gee winesucks I reckon I had a similar problem I couldnt drink in moderation So after making a fool of myself at a horsedriving event I decided that enough was enough and it occurred tome that I would have to give up altogether. I didint realise how bad it was until the second and third day driving to work I kept thinking I wanted a glass of wine at 8 in the morning, this made me more determined. then I decided to have special sodas and tea and coffee for special events this helped too. I have been probably 5 years without a drink Every now and then I think Id like one but my H is an Al and getting into all sorts of trouble so that deters me. Also I saved money and have so much more energy. Also I didnt realise what a depressant it was, subtlly effecting me. I guess im in better shape to help my H now. so good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I know all to well how much wine sucks. I'm so glad it's not a part of my life any longer. Welcome! You can do this.