Notices

NOW I have to deal with seizures...REALLY?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NOW I have to deal with seizures...REALLY?

So I will be 1 year sober next week, and I have been so much happier with my life.

I have a history of minor seizures when I was a child. It started when I was 7. I had what is called petite mal seizures (no convulsions). Actually, they were never 100% sure they were even seizures. Yearly EEG's always showed as "borderline", but was in medication for years anyway.

Fast forward to age 28, newly married and wanting to get pregnant. They weaned me off my medicine and I was fine! No more seizures to speak of. There were occasional isolated incidents of passing out in the morning, or I guess they could have been seizures. I am talking maybe twice over a 7 year period!!!!

Soooo....after a few years of heavy drinking, I finally quit, and had NO withdrawal symptoms except for some bathroom issues the first week. I have lost 100 pounds in the last year, went and had a full medical physical, and all was well!!!

6 months after quitting (November), I had an episode on vacation, and went to the ER. Informed them of my history. Did full bloodwork and a cat scan...all normal. Told me possibly exhaustion played a part.

February...another episode, and again early this morning! So that is three times in the last 6 months. I decided that was it and went to the doctor. After my explanation of what happened, she thought it did sound like a seizure, and they are making me an appointment in neurology and for an EEG.

Ugh..,why is it that I have to deal with this NOW?? I felt the healthiest I gave ever been since quitting. Just not fair:-(.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know you are going to think this is crazy but have you had your B vitamin levels checked? If not I suggest having both your B12 and folic acid levels checked. After I was sober for a year my seizures started. They were due to an almost complete deletion of B vitamins. Started with shots and prescription strength B's and I've haven't had an episode in almost 2 years.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

That does suck, hopefully your doctor can get it taken care of. try and keep your head up.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Leana! I don't know if they checked those...I will look at my paperwork. The episodes all seem to happen at times I am not getting much sleep, aND usually I have my menstrual cycle at the time. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm sure you have but make sure your doc has that info.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will be so much more physically and mentally able to deal with this now that you are sober. I guess this fits into the category of 'life happens' and sometimes it's hard and scary to deal with. I think it's great that you have talked to your dr.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dolly - I'm really sorry the seizures have come back, but I think it's better they happened now than when you were drinking?

They can do amazing things these days and you're happy and healthy which also counts for a lot - I hope they can find the cause, or at least mitigate the effects

best wishes

D
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Hope it is something they can take care of easy enough.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw your thread and I had to post.

I had a seizure when I was about 11 months old. I was on medication until I was about 5. (I am 33 now.)

I had no more seizures until my drinking got really bad. I had two more petite mal seizures the first two times I tried to quit. Like you, I had all the scans etc. I am now under the care of a neurologist and I take a small amount of klonopin at night which I hope to come off eventually, but the doctor is happy for me to stay on for now, and I am happy with this also. I have not had an episode for a couple of years.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Seizures are very scary and I am praying for you x
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Tetra! Mine always happen either in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. I don't mind being on medicine...was on it before for over 20 years. It was pretty well controlled when I was young, so hope it will be again.

The main concern is my health, but Also worried what this will mean in terms of driving. If I can't drive for a while...it will be really difficult:-(