Notices

45 sober but struggling. Why?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

45 sober but struggling. Why?

Hi my name is ang, I'm 53, I live in Australia. I went cold turkey, did ok and thought once I got that out of the way everything would be ok.

Not happening. I have been moody, irritable, sarcastic to my husband, and we are on holidays. It's the first sober holiday I have had in 10 years.

I am taking vitamins, b12 and a multi vitamin. Sleeping ok now but not for the first month.

My head throbs when I get up, like a hangover. Need some advice. Does this happen when I have made it to 45 days without a drink.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Ang1512 View Post
Hi my name is ang, I'm 53, I live in Australia. I went cold turkey, did ok and thought once I got that out of the way everything would be ok.

Not happening. I have been moody, irritable, sarcastic to my husband, and we are on holidays. It's the first sober holiday I have had in 10 years.

I am taking vitamins, b12 and a multi vitamin. Sleeping ok now but not for the first month.

My head throbs when I get up, like a hangover. Need some advice. Does this happen when I have made it to 45 days without a drink.
Hi Ang, well done on 45 days that's a fantastic achievement in itself, as far as the headaches are concerned I had the same symptoms, I just found my body was dehydrated after so long drinking and at least 2 litres of water per day eased the headaches pretty quickly. If you are in doubt mention it to your doctor to be safe.
Well done again Ang you are doing fab.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 45 days, ang. Sobriety with all of its benefits and rewards is, nonetheless, a shock to your system at first. Everything is readjusting, recalibrating, destabilizing. It can be an emotional roller coaster at first.

I didn't experience the awful headaches, though; might want to discuss that with your doctor.

Again, congrats, and welcome to SR.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, be very proud of your accomplishment.

I wonder if you've made any other changes in your life besides stopping drinking? I had to do a lot of digging and healing in order to begin to recover. Enjoy your holiday!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I don't know how long you drank, but perhaps your expectations at 45 days are a little high. We do a lot of damage to our body and mind. Takes a little longer than a month and a half to undo it.

But you'll get there. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank u

Boy this site is very hard to navigate so it will take time to adjust to it. Thank u all for the welcome. I'm not sure how to respond to each of you yet but I will when I get the hand of it.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take NSAID (ibuprofen) or a couple of aspirin for the headache and try to have a good time -- you're on vacation!

I think I'm on day 300 today (within a day or so, anyway), and things are mostly a whole lot better--like, ninety percent of the time, things are 110% better.

But it's life, and it's not all pie and flowers, and some thing are gonna stress you out, and some days you're going to feel like three pounds of @#$% in a two-pound bag. Don't let that throw you. Think Big Picture. Don't forget to focus on the positives now and again.

And congratulations on your string of forty five days, that is some real progress!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ang maybe go and check in with your GP to make sure there is nothing else going on.

It probably takes a few months for the worst of the physical symptoms to subside.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See your doctor.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ang! Yup, had head-friggin-aches.....long time. Worked the Advil and water, they eventually passed....keep going!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

headaches

Welcome Ang,
For about 2+ months I had headaches - I never had headaches when I was drinking. Sometimes they lasted throughout the day and I just sat on the couch eating chocolate and watching TV. I was always one to not take headache pills. But I started to take them. Headaches are gone now over about a month ago. I'm coming up on 4 months. Lots of water helps.

If they are severe or constant, definitely call a doctor.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember it taking months for me to come out of the fog. My body was just acting crazy without the drug. I would say a good 9 months for me to feel normal - or what I felt like before I started boozing. Hang in there and welcome!