Notices

Day 1

Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Today is day 1 for me. I've managed to stay sober most of the day....It's 4:45pm here and the desire to drink is really strong. I kid myself. Just one glass of wine will be fine. I know if I buy a bottle, it will be the big one and I'll drink it all. I'll be drunk in front of my kids again. My husband will be mad, because he'll take care of me once again. I know all of this, but yet I do it day after day. I'm extremely happy. I have a wonderful job, marriage and kids. I can honestly say nothing makes me drink. Why does alcohol have such a tight grip on me? Do you ever ask yourself, "why can't I just be normal?" I love the taste of alcohol. I'm sad I have to give it up forever. It's like loosing a best friend. Unfortunately, one that convinces you over and over it's great and yet, repeatedly betrays you.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi itsfinallytime. Congratulations on your decision, and on Day 1. We know how rough it is to get started, but we're here to help.

I was very resentful that I had to stop - I understand how you feel. I had proven to myself many times that it was going to kill me. Every time I drank there was no telling what would happen - it was dangerous & no fun in the end. I hope you'll feel more optimistic as you get some sober time behind you. Glad you are here with us.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn for your reply. You hit the nail on the head. I am very resentful that I have to stop. I appreciate your support
Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome!

I didn't know what I would do if I wasn't drinking... well, now I know I can do anything I want, and do it better! Alcohol deceived me. It had me believing that I needed it to live, and now that I'm without it, I know I don't need it and that my life is ten times better without it.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome it'sfinallytime

I think for most of us our relationship with alcohol is an abusive one.

You may be sad now, and even a little scared, but you'll look back and think 'why on earth did I hang around that jerk for so long'?

glad you found us
D
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hey itsfinallytime be proud of yourself for making the decision to change. Go love and hug your family. I bet your husband would be happy to help you stay sober. It took me loosing my family to realize how screwed up I was.

You can do it.