Notices

First AA Meeting Drunk

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting Drunk

I went to my first AA meeting today. Everyone was really accepting, but I had a few Icehouses before the meeting, but I felt awkward. I don't know know how to "tap" into the positive energy. Not because I am cynic, but the joy seems absolutely joyless ... forced, if you will. I am thinking of going tonight, but I don't know if it will help. I paid my bills; I am broke. I can live another month alcohol free, but sometimes I'd rather be alone. Any advice?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I would advise you quit drinking if it's causing so much trouble. Don't spend needed money on beer. Try a meeting when you're not drinking.

Not trying to be a jerk! Just sayin'.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks Karma. I already feel like a jerk.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say keep going to the meetings and try to do it sober, your mind will be much clearer and things will make a lot more sense.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find some peace in your life.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Put down the bottle and pick up the meetings. I hope you can stop drinking for good.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Booze Talkin'

I really thinking showing up to a meeting was a milestone. Should I have drank before hand, no? Should have the guy the next to me. It takes what it takes. Don't judge, please.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am still trying to remember everyones' names ... because I care about them. I'm sorry I was drunk; but, I am 48 hours into this. Nevermind, I am getting angry. It isn't productive. I am sorry, so sorry. Best wishes.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are doing fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, once I was in a meeting and a guy came in drunk. We said: come back when you're
not drinking. We didn't say come back when you're sober. The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of people go to AA drunk... and they are accepted there. Yes it will be better when you do it sober, but this is a first step.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Clarification

I was not drunk. I wasn't stumbling; I wasn't slurring my words. I just felt warm.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't give up Sky, you went to AA and that was a huge thing, if people judge you let it go over your head. You are trying and that is 100% better than doing nothing. Keep going x
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Icehouse is really more of a working-in-the-garage beer.

You really ought to be drinking something more upscale like Heineken if you're going to AA. Have a little class, bub!

Just kidding.

I don't think anyone is taking offense. Karma merely responded to your request for advice by advising you to stop drinking -- and we're on SoberRecovery, the advice here generally follows that common theme -- unless someone is joking around
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank to get to my first one, and my second and my 3rd. I think a lot of people do that bc many of us have natural anxiety about new situations and people. Even in my field, I don't mind meeting people but if it isn't on mu terms, then I do mind. That said, I can smell beer drinkers that come... Prob bc beer was never my drink of choice anyway. Vodka was. Anyway, the reason it is good to stop drinking imo before meetings is bc how ironic would it be if AA meetings were a trigger for you. You are shooting yourself before you even have a chance to aim.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

SkyBlueSky, great that you went to a meeting. Try to make the next one. Don't worry about remembering people's names. It took me a while and I still forget names at meetings. When you start remembering faces is a good sign. The names will come. The important thing is to just go whether you feel like it or not. It beats being bored at home for sure.
I'm glad to hear you went.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news that you went to a meeting.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Blue sky, we had a guy that would come to meetings for years upon years, having drank be for hand. The old timers always welcomed him, saying keep coming back; at least it is one hour without drinking, and one time you may hear something that sticks. Don't quit before the magic happens. I am glad you posted here. I do think you want sobriety..
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I've definitely gone to a few meetings with vodka in a water bottle and honestly I felt so ashamed about it that it kept me from keeping up with meetings. And that just led to more vodka and solitude.

I'm getting ready to head to my first meeting back...sober. I know I can do it and so can you. Good luck.
  # 20 (permalink)  

Btw, that guy now has ten years of sobriety.