OT-Books

Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pia

OT-Books

Hi everyone- Can someone update the post on top for books or give me some suggestions for some self help books? I really love the audible ones but any kind will do.

I know someone mentioned one about Loneliness.

I have Codependent no More by Melody Beattie
Disarming the Narcissit Surving and Thriving by Wendy Behary
Help I'm in love with a Narc by Steven Carter

Thank you,

Radiant
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why Do They Do That ~ Inside the Minds of Controlling and Angry Men by Lundy Bancroft
Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lundy Bancroft is great. I enjoy his blog also. He is a real advocate for abused women also.

Healing and Hope

Here are a few from my audible library:
Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You
Written by:*Patricia Evans

The Richest Man in Babylon
Written by:*George S. Clason

Games People Play: The Basic Handbook of Transactional Analysis
Written by:*Eric Berne

Who's Pulling Your Strings?: How to Break the Cycle of Manipulation and Regain Control of Your Life
Written by:*Harriet Braiker

Not sure exactly what you are looking for.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't know about the blog....thanks so much!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pia

Can someone recommend Alcoholic books?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life by Susan Anderson

It's not a book about alcoholism, but this was a deeply healing book for me a few years ago. It helped me to understand how my past affected my choices in men, as well as how the human brain works when we suffer loss of any kind, ultimately affecting our future relationships and overall well-being.

Learning about the physiological affects of loss/abandonment was fascinating and hugely beneficial to me...in the same way that learning about the physiological affects of alcohol on the human brain/body helped my to understand alcoholism.

Reading this book, I finally, finally felt like someone was telling/understanding my story. I had to digest it very slowly (almost paragraph by paragraph some days) as it was overwhelming and emotional. But worth every page.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pia

I am ordering the book HealingWillCome.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Radiant!

Here is a link to a book listing in the Newcomers to Recovery forum. This list contains a variety of books from stories of recovery to spirituality. There might be something here you would enjoy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hi Radiant!

Here is a link to a book listing in the Newcomers to Recovery forum. This list contains a variety of books from stories of recovery to spirituality. There might be something here you would enjoy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Oh wow thank you this is great!
I'm sorry I didn't see this before I posted.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always recommend The Shack by W. Paul Young - it's short & sweet & talks spirituality from a different fictional type of perspective.

The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz is like a mini-bible for me because I find the basic tenets to be so easy to recall & use daily as guidelines in my interactions with others.

Perfect Daughters by Robert Ackerman helped me a lot in dealing with ACoA issues as an adult woman.

Guts by Kristen Johnson was pretty raw from the Alcoholic's POV & I get a lot out of reading biographies like this. It helps me to understand the mind of the addict a bit more vs. the clinical side. (everyone remembers Kristen Johnson from her big role on 3rd Rock from the Sun) In this type of style, I also really got a lot out of High on Arrival by MacKenzie Phillips,

I am currently reading It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness by Sylvia Boorstein. I only just started it, but it breaks down the basics of Buddhism in a easy format so I'm looking forward to it.... it's my first attempt at reading about it specifically.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I am currently reading It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness by Sylvia Boorstein. I only just started it, but it breaks down the basics of Buddhism in a easy format so I'm looking forward to it.... it's my first attempt at reading about it specifically.
Sylvia Boorstein is great! She's got several books on this topic, all very approachable. One (Don't Just Do Something, Sit There) is about how to have a little mindfulness retreat for yourself right at home. I read it many years ago and didn't really "get it". I sure do now!