Notices

Over 90 days

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 90 days

After 12 years of sobriety and a 2 year relapse I find myself hardly thinking about drinking. I like reading SR posts, but find that it is the one thing that makes me think about drinking. does anyone else experience this? I am at the point where I can put this behind me and move forward without support. I did have a very successful 12 years without support. Any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I don't have issues here so much as I can read what I want to and leave the rest alone. I do identify in a way as I found AA meetings began to be counterproductive for me and cause more drinking thinking than they solved after a while. I am not downing AA, but after a few hundred or a thousand meetings I found them to be counter productive for myself or at least the ones I was attending.

What I have found that works for me is just to fully engage life. I set goals and it gives me something to achieve. Me not being able to successfully drink is a give so I seek to do other things.

Yes, I can understand how discussing drinking all the time or being in a forum and doing so may cause issues. For me however, I find this forum helps or at least if offers me some grounding and I find it interesting. We are all much the same and a lot different.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I don't have issues here so much as I can read what I want to and leave the rest alone. I do identify in a way as I found AA meetings began to be counterproductive for me and cause more drinking thinking than they solved after a while. I am not downing AA, but after a few hundred or a thousand meetings I found them to be counter productive for myself or at least the ones I was attending.

What I have found that works for me is just to fully engage life. I set goals and it gives me something to achieve. Me not being able to successfully drink is a give so I seek to do other things.

Yes, I can understand how discussing drinking all the time or being in a forum and doing so may cause issues. For me however, I find this forum helps or at least if offers me some grounding and I find it interesting. We are all much the same and a lot different.

Do what works for you. But something didn't work that led you to a relapse.
After just over a hundred meetings, I come out of them with more negative feelings all the time. I quit drinking because I knew I had to. Going to meetings was part of "my plan" as determined by someone else.
I still get something from them, but lately it's become nauseating hearing the same thing from the same people again and again and again and...
The next time someone tells me I have to get down on my knees I'm going to lose it. I am NOT powerless.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Bton.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do what works for you I guess
Do you have other support besides SR?

D