SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Over 90 days (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/328287-over-90-days.html)

Btonbill 04-07-2014 07:08 AM

Over 90 days

After 12 years of sobriety and a 2 year relapse I find myself hardly thinking about drinking. I like reading SR posts, but find that it is the one thing that makes me think about drinking. does anyone else experience this? I am at the point where I can put this behind me and move forward without support. I did have a very successful 12 years without support. Any thoughts?

totfit 04-07-2014 09:51 AM

I don't have issues here so much as I can read what I want to and leave the rest alone. I do identify in a way as I found AA meetings began to be counterproductive for me and cause more drinking thinking than they solved after a while. I am not downing AA, but after a few hundred or a thousand meetings I found them to be counter productive for myself or at least the ones I was attending.

What I have found that works for me is just to fully engage life. I set goals and it gives me something to achieve. Me not being able to successfully drink is a give so I seek to do other things.

Yes, I can understand how discussing drinking all the time or being in a forum and doing so may cause issues. For me however, I find this forum helps or at least if offers me some grounding and I find it interesting. We are all much the same and a lot different. :)

LBrain 04-07-2014 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by totfit (Post 4575684)
I don't have issues here so much as I can read what I want to and leave the rest alone. I do identify in a way as I found AA meetings began to be counterproductive for me and cause more drinking thinking than they solved after a while. I am not downing AA, but after a few hundred or a thousand meetings I found them to be counter productive for myself or at least the ones I was attending.

What I have found that works for me is just to fully engage life. I set goals and it gives me something to achieve. Me not being able to successfully drink is a give so I seek to do other things.

Yes, I can understand how discussing drinking all the time or being in a forum and doing so may cause issues. For me however, I find this forum helps or at least if offers me some grounding and I find it interesting. We are all much the same and a lot different. :)

Do what works for you. But something didn't work that led you to a relapse.
After just over a hundred meetings, I come out of them with more negative feelings all the time. I quit drinking because I knew I had to. Going to meetings was part of "my plan" as determined by someone else.
I still get something from them, but lately it's become nauseating hearing the same thing from the same people again and again and again and...
The next time someone tells me I have to get down on my knees I'm going to lose it. I am NOT powerless.

FeenixxRising 04-07-2014 11:39 AM

Well done Bton.

Dee74 04-07-2014 03:23 PM

Do what works for you I guess :)
Do you have other support besides SR?

D