Notices

Freaking out some

Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freaking out some

I just realized I forgot to check in with my probation officer on Friday. I got a DUI back in January. It was in Tennessee and I live in Florida, so I'm supposed to call my PO the first Friday of every month. I thought about it all day Thursday, but Friday I totally spaced and didn't think about it. In fact, it was only about an hour ago that I realized that I'd screwed up.

I'm really worried. I'm getting my life together (tomorrow's 7 days sober), I've had a couple of really good job interviews and I'm hopeful I'll be back to work soon. I'm so afraid that I'm gonna get violated and have to go back to Tennessee for a hearing or something and there's no way I can afford to make that trip. Anyone been in this situation? Any advice?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not been in this situation, but in my experience, the truth is the easiest thing to keep straight. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Just call tomorrow. They won't violate you for that. Now if you don't call soon they might.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not been in the situation but I think getting in touch with them as soon as you can is the best thing to do

D
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it will be OK too, if you call first thing in the morning, and apologize of course. I have a dui too. I have to check in, in person, every three months (for 18 months of probation.. almost done!)... Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I would call and leave a message immediately. Then call first thing in the morning as well.

Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm def gonna call first thing in the morning, but I hadn't thought about trying to call now. I tried, but I don't have a direct number for my PO, only the main number and all they have is a recording, no option to leave a message.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No experience to offer but I'm sorry you're freaking out! Good luck in the morning. I am sure you are not the first person to forget to call on the exact day required. Hopefully they will show you a little mercy!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing worse than realizing you forgot something when it is the weekend

Call first thing in the morning. Just tell them what happened...we are all human and we forget. I cannot imagine a probation officer being a ball buster over calling to what amounts to the very next day.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I forget about stuff all the time. Like I will remember at the beginning of the week that it is someone's birthday coming up and I need to get a card and I will think of it all week and then forget to buy a card or call. It happens. Is there any way that would be helpful to you to make sure you don't forget next month? A calendar? A reminder in your phone? I write stuff down as a reminder. In the meantime, call ASAP tomorrow and explain what happened. As long as you don't make a habit of forgetting to call, and you are in compliance with any other terms of your probation, I don't think your probation officer is going to get too upset by you reporting on Monday rather than Friday.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Create a recurring alarm on your phone, computer, whatever, so this doesn't happen again.
I agree with everyone else that this probably is no big deal once.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Trust me: nothing's gonna happen! I'm experienced on this;wierd kinda way. Just be honest w/ them in the mrg & when you hang up, will wonder why you lost peace & sleep over this.(I'm on prob in ga & they let me move up here-so far missed one call which I didn't coz actually called earlier than was supposed to)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How did the call go? I was thinking about you during the night, figuring you were counting the hours till you could call!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG, counting the seconds is more like it. I called straight up at opening time, asked for her, got her, told her my name. She said, "You were supposed to call Friday." I said, "I know." She said, "I'm gonna have to call you back." I said, "Okay."

So now I'm on pins and needles sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. Thank goodness for the portability of cell phones; I'm about to put it in my pocket and go for a loooooooooonnnnnnnngggggg walk while I wait to burn off some of this nervous energy.

I'll let y'all know what happens, that is, if they don't swoop down, handcuff me, and whisk me off to Guantanamo Bay or something... (ummmm, yeah, I can get a little off the chain in my anxiety.) Thanks so much for asking, the support in this place is such a GIFT!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck! I'm sure when you explain they will have a 'ok don't do it again' talk.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Create a recurring alarm on your phone, computer, whatever, so this doesn't happen again.
I agree with everyone else that this probably is no big deal once.
I second this 2 thumbs up
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just breathe. Worry won't change a thing. I'm thinking of you.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with my PO. Went just like a regular check-in. At the end, she said, "Make sure you call back on May 2. You're supposed to call in on the first Friday." That was it. No violations, no threats, not even a scolding. Whew, am I ever relieved. And yes, DoubleBarrel and Thepatman, my phone and computer are now programmed to give me loud and frequent notice for the remaining calls. Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That is awesome!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

We create our own anxiety by not doing what we need to do, although we think about doing it.....

Way to go! Keep walking through each little fear!

hugs and love to you!