Notices

7 days sober- advice?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile 7 days sober- advice?

Hey everyone awesome app to have - I'm nervous- I have never been sober for more than 2 weeks for about 13 years .. Any tips? I have accepted treatment starts in a month
Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Fantastic that you have 7 days sober,what a great start.

One thing to remember is HALT,hungry,angry,lonely tired,they are the things to watch out for,I would also add keeping well hydrated.

Good news you are going into treatment.

Wishing you well.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks wow thanks that's a great acronym HALT I'm defiantly experiencing all of those today! I feel a bit light headed, super anxious which I haven't felt ever in my life til now... Hard to sleep so I keep journaling, and soooooo exhausted. My eyes burn and I have headaches .. Anyone experience this?

After learning 2 days ago from a professional that I am an alcoholic, I was shocked because I defiantly was not educated on what that meant... I took a couple online tests just to see for myself and yup off the charts qualified.. I have been you tubing, reading AA book and attended 2 meetings so far. I'm so excited for a chance to live and that there is hope and support but also terrified for what's ahead cause I know it won't be easy and that it's not temporary it's for a lifetime.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Angel Alcoholic

There are some good tips for cravings here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Read around and post as much as you like - theres amazing support here

D
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HALT is great. It has saved my rear a bunch of times.

Find something to do to keep you busy starting about an hour before you would usually drink. Change patterns. If you drive home past a liquor store, go a different way. Make plans for the weekend ahead of time if you drank a lot on weekends.

Welcome.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Welcome to SR, Angel Alcoholic.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I recommend. . another seven days sober more is better! You really can't have enough of them

Some tips -

avoid places where they have alcohol
avoid places where they sell alcohol
avoid places where people might offer you some alcohol
avoid alcohol

yeah there's a common theme in there someplace, see if you can spot it
Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Pick up the book Living Sober. It's an easy reading book with lots of really helpful tips for staying sober. You can get it for $.01 used on amazon Living Sober: Anonymous: 9780916856045: Amazon.com: Books .
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My advice, enjoy!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Angel xxxx
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your tips and the positive feedback. This is truly an eye opener and I'm so thankful for the support! Hope everyone has a wonderful day and I will make the choice to continue my journey sober one day at a time.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some tactics that have worked for me so far...but then my track record is only eleven days sober...a good start, but I can offer no perspective on long-term sobriety.

Just like when a football team shows up at a stadium, you can assume that an opposing team will be there too, and that opposing team will work hard to beat you. For me the opposing team is my "alcoholic voice," always telling me how it's really no big deal to have just a drink or two, what could go wrong? Once I recognized the alcoholic voice for what it was, my ability to counter its appeal increased, and this attempt at sobriety has been much more successful so far.

Best of luck, Angel! You can find a lot of support here at SR.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

god grant me the serenity
hello angel ,congrats on 7 days , kinda scary you gotta wait awhile for treatment ,, hang in there im pullin for you,, I was finally awakened only a few days ago after 20 years . I step into a full detox program in the morning .. and yes I will suffer the dts ,tried quitting before on my own and thought I was gonna die ,, im one of them people that will go through serious withdraws . the last 4 days ive been ending my life as I knew it . so when I step out of treatment there will be no trace of my old life as I knew it .. a fresh start without the reminders of then,, I do have to do the extreme..i want to live ,, I invite you to read my posts ..and keep a positive outlook ..no one should get to the point I was at to be awakened ..the last 20 years of my life was a waste .. there seem to be some very good people here and they will be here for you and so will I but youll have to wait a week or so to hear from me cuz the first part of treatment I will have no contact with the world ,,good luck!
20YEARS DRUNK 4 DAYS SOBER(not counting today) ONE MOMENT AT A TIME
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Taproot: great job being sober too!!! We all have start somewhere - I can relate to the thought on maybe just one but I keep reminding myself that I have been offered my life back and nothing is worth my life no even a drink for a moment of so called "joy before" ... Now I see it as poison like drinking death cause at the end of the day that's what it could look like for me and us--- I am committed to self love and keep learning the tools and 12 steps and listening to others. Thanks for your post!!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks church: congrats on chosing to be sober!!! So proud that such a powerful disease can turn others including me against it so we are back in control of our lives with the opportunity and choice to live! Thanks so much for the post - stay strong you can do it
Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I need to move forward and Let go of the past for sure .. Just don't know how.. I have some ideas but I still am unsure- KateL I got your message and need more posts to accept requests so hopefully soon happy sobriety

I really like the one day at a time it's sooo true
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Angel. One thing I know is a trigger for me is stress. Try to stay away from people/ situations that will do that- especially in the beginning. Wishing you well in your journey
Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome,
thought on maybe just one
That "just one", the first one is what may start a sequence of more "just one's" and that viscous cycle will resume all over again,

It is at this precise point, the fine line from the thought of a drink growing bigger and bigger to an obsession and onto a delusion and belief that we can have that "just one" is the insanity of alcoholism.
Or, the jumping off a cliff point, will it fly, or will it sink? When only you honestly know how many times it sank before.

For some, self will may save the day and the thought of a drink evaporates.
For others, a renewed relationship with the divine non human powers that be, asking for a intuitive thought other than, "just one".
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You have been given some great advice. I am so glad you have joined us. This is a great place. My only advice is "Don't pick up the first drink, no matter what." Come here, take a walk, take a shower, the craving will pass. Good luck and we are all here for you.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Congrats on the first of many sober weeks. It can be rough at first but it will get better, I promise.