Notices

My Taproot of Troubles

Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Taproot of Troubles

During the second world war, Winston Churchill described the oil fields and refineries near Ploesti, Romania as, "The taproot of German might," and consequently those oil facilities became a priority target for Allied bombing. The idea being that this one single dot on the map was so vital to the Nazi war machine that taking it out would yield broad benefits for the Allies.

It seems to me that alcohol is my own "Taproot of Troubles." Alcohol is *the* common element in so many of the unnecessary self-inflicted difficulties in my life. Alcohol has contributed to my social isolation. Alcohol has put distance between myself and my wife. Alcohol has kept me sitting in a chair instead of moving around, thereby helping to transform me into an out-of-shape pile of goo. Alcohol has compromised my performance at work. Alcohol has led me to countless nights of tossing and turning in bed unable to get any good sleep after about 2am. I could go on.

I am hoping to find a new taproot, a "taproot of strength" perhaps. Eliminating alcohol has so much potential to yield improvements in my life and in the lives of those connected to me. I hope I have the strength to make this change, and the community here at SR is already helping me to grow in this new positive direction.

In answer to a question posted yesterday by Ilya, that is the story behind my screen name.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Taproot. Interesting story behind your name selection.

You DO have the strength to change and the great posters on SR will provide great support.

Glad you joined us on our paths to sobriety.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I wasn't familiar with that term. I agree 100% with your second paragraph - except in the end I never slept at all. You sound more than ready to do this and we know you can Taproot!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep...ah, blessed healer. Not only was I not sleeping in the end of my drinking days, I was waking with a racing heart, having horrible nightmares, and the only way to make them go away was...wait for it -

yeh.

Very glad you've joined our March 2014 thread. Hope to get to know more about you.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Thanks for sharing this, Taproot.

I love your story.