Most inspirational scene from a movie...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Most inspirational scene from a movie...

I too apologize if this thread is not suitable for this forum, but I remember the first time I saw this scene, and it will never leave me. I hope it doesn't spoil it for anyone.

In The Shawshank Redemption, the whole story being something terrible happening to someone who was innocent, and the daily drudgery of survival is painfully detailed, with little more than grays, browns, darkness, shadows, the boredom and despair broken up time to time by violence and terror.

The scene is when Tim Robbins' character, Andy, receives books and records from a county library, and he holes up in the prison office while broadcasting the opera over the loudspeakers of the prison.

Accompanied by Morgan Freeman's narration(always awesome to listen to), it truly sent my spirit soaring.

Freedom, hope, life, energy, full of breath and a brief moment of unquenchable joy and peace.

For those living in the prison of relationships with those with addictions, I pray you find joy and peace, too.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Spinner, Shawshank catches us every time it is on TV.

I am more of a reader, so often I end up liking the book more than the movie. A River Runs Through It is just luminous to me. It won an Oscar for cinematography. I keep meaning to read MacLean's novella, but for once I have not.

Another movie that really transports me is Nobody's Fool. The town and characters were completely real to me.

Perhaps it's because I was raised on "The Sting" that I was open to life lessons from Redford and Newman.