Notices

Really weird sensations

Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Really weird sensations

So for about the past half hour, I've been going back and forth between feeling dizzy and feeling disembodied. Kind of weird feeling. Never had anything like this happen before.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our Brains do some Funny things, when change the Old Chemical Influences...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you eaten today Aarryckha?
Not eating can make me 'go funny'

D
Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Yeah...Chow - Good concept, Dee !!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Yes, been making sure that I'm staying hydrated and eating. It probably is just my brain off alcohol. It doesn't know what to do with being sober for so long. /laughs
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hungers about the only diagnosis I'm qualified to submit I'm afraid
If it continues to concern you it's probably best to see a Dr., Aarry

D
Old 03-08-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes!! I had that exact thing. From time to time I still get it. Disembodied is a very good word for it. Trying to explain it to others felt difficult. It will get better over time I think. That feeling happened to me for about 2 months in intervals and now I am about a bit over 3 months and I am feeling much better. Healthy food does help. Hope you feel better!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Yeah, trying not to think about it too much or my anxiety is going to start to act up and I'm going to start imagining I'm having a heart attack. /laughs
Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 8 and it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who gets that "disembodied" thing!!! It's only happened a few times since I quit drinking, but this morning I had a spell that lasted about half an hour. It kind of felt like my mind was disconnected from my body and that I was just going through the motions of real life almost like in a dream....kinda scary.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Yes!! I had that exact thing. From time to time I still get it. Disembodied is a very good word for it. Trying to explain it to others felt difficult. It will get better over time I think. That feeling happened to me for about 2 months in intervals and now I am about a bit over 3 months and I am feeling much better. Healthy food does help. Hope you feel better!
Did your spells come and go or was a constant thing? I hope it's not constant.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get the same thing to. It's almost like I'm dreaming or I'm outside myself. I'm thinking it might be related to anxiety. Probably best to check with a physician if it concerns you at all..,
Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I'm on Day 8 and it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who gets that "disembodied" thing!!! It's only happened a few times since I quit drinking, but this morning I had a spell that lasted about half an hour. It kind of felt like my mind was disconnected from my body and that I was just going through the motions of real life almost like in a dream....kinda scary.
Okay, I'm finishing up Day 7.

You guys are making me feel better about this. It's the weirdest sensation. It's like I am looking through my eyes but my mind is seperated from my body.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Okay, just for reference, the sensations are now gone. I just wanted it time stamped for future reference.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Aarryckha.

This issue has come up before here in similar contexts. Dissociative states or disorders (aka 'depersonalization' or 'derealization') are fairly common during alcohol withdrawal. With or without alcohol, they often occur in response to a traumatic event or events, a defense that allows us to emotionally separate ourselves from the trauma. Dissociative personality disorder or dissociative identity disorder (DID) have been popularly referred to as 'multiple personality disorder', in which the core personality splits off into other personalities to, again, avoid re-experiencing what is often an early trauma or series of traumatic events.

For those of us who have contact with people who are in the midst of alcohol-induced blackouts, it's often difficult to differentiate between a blackout versus a dissociative episode, in part because people can seem completely normal to others during a blackout, as is true of someone experiencing a dissociative episode. It both cases, something seems not quite right, and it takes some work to determine what exactly is going on.

Episodes during alcohol withdrawal are typically transient and of short duration. If these states persist, it would be wise to consult your physician.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wow, EndGameNYC, thank you so much for the information. I take comfort in the fact that I know I'm not having a heart attack or something but the idea that I hurt myself this much is just scary.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Aarryckha View Post
Wow, EndGameNYC, thank you so much for the information. I take comfort in the fact that I know I'm not having a heart attack or something but the idea that I hurt myself this much is just scary.
Yeah, I hurt myself pretty badly as well. It's often difficult to stay motivated during early sobriety, what with having do adjust to withdrawal symptoms and facing our feelings and our challenges without alcohol. The process of healing and how it helped me to look forward to other positive changes was enough to carry me through.

Perhaps equally important was the support from people I allowed to help me, who also frequently reminded me of my progress.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Yeah, I hurt myself pretty badly as well. It's often difficult to stay motivated during early sobriety, what with having do adjust to withdrawal symptoms and facing our feelings and our challenges without alcohol. The process of healing and how it helped me to look forward to other positive changes was enough to carry me through.

Perhaps equally important was the support from people I allowed to help me, who also frequently reminded me of my progress.
I think this just motivates me more. I want to heal myself, physically and mentally.