Notices

63 Days,, Then I drank!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

63 Days,, Then I drank!

I had 63 days sober, I had to fly last week, and as soon as I hit the airport it was over! No control, I have been attending 3-4 AA meetings a week, working the steps and just like that I was drunk in an airport. I drank last Thursday and Friday. And nothing since then. I feel terrible, not physically, just that I let myself down and others around me. Any advice or feedback would be helpful.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

how far in those steps did you get to? just curious

if I pick up a drink, I am likely to get drunk. not picking that drink up is difficult for a while. start again!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Step 8
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are human. We all make mistakes. Just brush yourself off and get back on that horse. 63 days is a great accomplishment, don't think that is lost.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

63 days! Look within for the trigger(s) and keep moving in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

63 days is a huge effort and well done for that. I can not remember a soba week in my life for the last 4 years, you have the tools to get there again now. re-apply yourself and follow the same steps you did before. Understand why you have chosen to take a drink or what triggered it........ Adapt and overcome
Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Only you can work your program, so this is a suggestion only, but step 8 seems awfully far along in the Steps for 2 months sober. Are you working the steps with a sponsor?

It sounds to me, and again I don't know you or know your case so this is conjecture only, but it seems Step 1 would be a good step to go back to and stay with a while. You learned a good lesson that you are powerless against alcohol once you take the first drink. Process that for a while and really, really consider how you feel about the idea of being powerless. It's a simple step, but really accepting and realizing the power of our addiction is the foundation on which recovery is built. It's a huge step so no need to rush it - recovery is a marathon, so no need to rush it

I'd check back in with a meeting today/tonight, tell someone or the group that you're starting over and get back to work. Glad it didn't turn out worse for you. Hang in there - you're not bad getting good, you're sick and getting well...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I assume you don't like to fly or just hate airports and have used alcohol in the past to calm your nerves or deal with the boredom? That's a tough one that I haven't faced yet and I wonder what I will do in the same situation. Please don't beat yourself up about it. It's just important that you have picked yourself up and are moving forward. I bet next time you fly you won't drink because of this experience. Thanks for posting this. Hugs
Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power
Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I often heard that once we've experience
recovery, it automatically screws up our
drinking. Meaning, it will never be the same.

The seed of recovery has been planted
and now you have resources to continue
on in ur program learning to remain sober
a day at a time by incorporating those tools
and knowledge passed on to us.

I also learned that I never have to ever
go thru anything in life alone or by myself.
There will always be someone somewhere's
whose been there or done that same or
similar things we have.

By listening to others share their own
ESH - experiences, strengths and hopes
of what their lives were and is like before,
during, and after drinking or drugging can
guide us with hope that if they can live a
life in recovery, happy, healthy and honest,
then so can I.

Grab a hold onto someones coat tail and
allow them to guide you step by step till
you have a strong solid foundation in recovery
to live upon for yrs. to come.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry to here you drank again.

Back to step 1.You haven't accepted your Alcoholism.

The good news is you can start again with your sobriety.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan, Congrats on the 63 day run! My advice would be to have a very detailed plan the next time you fly. Early on in my recovery I always found it helpful to have a plan of activity when going into a situation where I drank in the past. I, too, was an airport drinker due to flying for business rather often. After I stopped drinking, I would download a good movie on my iPad, bring a book, surf the web ( sober recovery ), plan to call a friend and catch up, etc. to pass the time.

After more than a year of sobriety, my new routine allows me to not really think about drinking, and if I do, I play it through in my mind....I'll disappoint myself and others, progress into drinking in the morning so I won't feel a horrible hangover, etc. it gets easier as you have a plan and go through the situation a few times. Hope this helps. Use this as a learning experience and not a setback! I had six months sober before I had a setback and it proved to be a huge learning experience which has allowed me to start over and now have over a year sober.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryanriley View Post

Any advice or feedback would be helpful.

well now you know more about what not to do

the following is the one that I stay away from

(the first drink) seems to set all into action for us

if you are alcoholic as I'm

MB
Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Ryan.... would you be willing to share what you did for "step one"?

I'm 65 days today and doing well so far on my second real effort of sobriety.

I'm happy for you that you got 63 days under your belt. I'm sorry you picked up again, but want to encourage you to really use this as a reaffirmation of your commitment to sobriety lest you take the path that I did and slide back into the darkness for another year and a half or beyond!

Try not to view it as a failure or get down on yourself - rather view this experience as a tool in returning to the steps.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just start over Ryan, donlt give yourself too much of a hard time xxxxx
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ryan, I travel frequently and used to do some of my best drinking at airports and hotels.
I now try to avoid getting to the airport too early.
I travel with a couple of good books, my iPhone loaded with good music and podcasts.
I usually go straight to a Peet's Coffee or other coffee place and get a coffee so I have something in my hand.
If I find myself with time to kill, I'll find an airport book shop and browse.
Get right back at it; you know how to do this.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ryan

My advice is to have a rock solid plan devised before the next time you fly.

Walking into situations unprepared is one thing...walking into situations unprepared that you know about ahead of time is another...?

D
Old 03-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I fly often and airports were the perfect excuse to get drunk, lots of free time and I travel alone so no one to pester me to stop. What actually happened is I started to develop terrible anxiety during take off and if there was any sudden turbulence I would freak out. Hangovers after a flight were always far worse for some reason and it would take days to feel normal. I used to get very stressed while travelling and would over check if I had my passport and the departure time. Drinking makes everything harder. You can start again and things will be easier. All that horrible airport anxiety went when I stopped getting drunk. I wish you all the best.xxx