Notices

Grateful i'm sober.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful i'm sober.

Hi All,

I'm very grateful to be sober today, its been 5 weeks. I attend AA meeting regularly, I've joined a group and have a temp sponsor.

The highs and lows of early sobriety are funny, one day you're loving life, the next you're tired, run down and stuck on stinkin thinkin.

Question for people with some good sobriety. how do you deal with your down days?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there!

Just wanted to first say I'm new to this forum.

Dealing with down days:

Unfortunately, I got sober because I really had "no choice." Short and simple, pregnant. However, let me say I was a severe alcoholic and trust me, I had some DOWN DOWN DOWN days.

How I dealt: Exercise, exercise, exercise. Audiobooks on staying sober. (I would seriously go on long walks with my iPod and listen to a few audiobooks. Maybe 3 a week.)
Another way I coped was with candy and lots of water. Now, I know that eating candy in copious amounts is NOT good, however, I felt like the exercise balanced that out. lol- (Not advise this, however, if you have a pre-existing health condition. Diabetes, HBP, etc.)

Another piece of advice... *sigh* ...embrace the misery. Let it wash over you like fire. It's called "taking you licks." You have to get through that "threshold of Hell" (as I put it) to get to that wonderful refreshing place on the other side. Fight it with the power of Thor! The other side is so worth it. Gah almighty...you'll start to feel better, look better, your confidence will rise. You just gotta get through those miserable miserable periods. You can do this! Keep telling yourself that!!! YOU CAN DO THIS.

Much love,
Nat

916 days sober!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I made a post when I hit 6 months alcohol free on what I did to get there. You can check it out if you'd like. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...along-way.html
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I throw myself into something I'm passionate about, like my dogs. When I'm feeling bad we go for a nice long walk. Does us all good, the exercise, the sunshine and fresh air.

I also like to watch movies and that's one way to get out of myself and into another 'world'.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amazing, thank you very much DG! Also, thanks to everyone for their input and support!

I feel better already!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking usually fixes my mood. My other choice is to put on some of my favorite music or just sit and get lost in a book.