Notices

New and worried

Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and worried

Hi all - been reading for a while. My drink of choice is wine and lots of it. I've been drinking for a little over 10 years and am 31 years old. I really want to stop and have selected tomorrow as my first day as today I have already drank. I know I am going to be scared and ill and I'm looking for support. I know if I can make it for the first couple of weeks then I will be in a better place.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi calnat, I'm an ex-wino with a nightly intake of a bottle so I know how hard it is to imagine life without wine. But if you can get through the first part where the cravings are strong it's totally rewarding.
One of the best thing is not having that constant feeling of guilt and self reproach. Mornings are excellent too.
Stick around SR for amazing support, and consider other support like counselling, your doctor or an AA group.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi calnet - you'll find a ton of support here

If you feel badly, I think it's good to see a Dr if you can - just to be safe

D
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I was a one bottle of wine a day girl but now if I only drink one and a half I've done well. I hate doing it and I hate how ill I feel. I cannot sleep - some nights I lay in bed awake all night feeling ill. I just want to have a life and I'm pretty much desperate to get one that doesn't revolve around hiding alcohol and feeling ill 24/7
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino too, one to three bottles a night. But I broke free of the chains of wine and now am living a great sober life. You can too! I hope our support can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community calnat. I am sure you will find support and encouragement here. You never have to take another drink. Like Dee suggested, if you begin to feel too bad, you might want to see a doctor. Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous and a physician can help with the side effects.
Stick close to the boards and share often......we are here for you.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Calnat xxxx
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by calnat View Post
I really want to stop and have selected tomorrow as my first day as today I have already drank.
You don't have to "wait" until tomorrow to quit. Dump what you have and start now. It's a mindset, putting your sobriety ahead of your drinking. Also, last "hurrahs" have a way of continuing longer than expected.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I was a wine drinker too now sober liv ing a much better life.You can have this too
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi Welcome!

I used to lie awake at night too - feeling really ill with anxiety and stomach upset. Sometimes I still lie awake (I am very new) but I don't feel sick or have a sense of impending doom. It is an ongoing adjustment to be without alcohol but it's always getting better!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by calnat View Post
I'm pretty much desperate to get one that doesn't revolve around hiding alcohol and feeling ill 24/7
You are in the right place to learn how to get what you want.

best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's great to wake up every morning hangover free and with energy to get things done. Your life can be so much better but it may not be easy especially the first few weeks but you can do it if you really want to. Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate to sleep issues and alcohol. I used to wake up very early in the morning with my heart *pounding*. I would wake up over and over during the night and would be exhausted the next day. I think one of my favorite things about sobriety is waking up after a good night's sleep feeling well.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR calnat,

The hardest thing to do is admit you have a problem and you are past that now. This community can and will support you through your transition and this is the place to come to squash your cravings and lean on someone (or a bunch of us).

You have probably heard this before but it bears hearing again...... you are a young man and have most of your life ahead of you. A life w/o alcohol will be INFINITELY better than the life of a lifelong drinker.

I know, I have been drinking since I was 16 and I am 56. All those years controlled by the beast were a waste of my youth, young adulthood and into (dare I say it.....) Middle age. Now that I have 19 months of sobriety, I can see clearly that my life could have been SO MUCH BETTER.

Do yourself a BIG favor and do your best to follow through with sobriety. It wont be easy but it is the most IMPORTANT battle you will ever fight.

Now is the time that you can eliminate the cycle of pain caused by alcoholism. Now you can stop hurting yourself and others around you. Now is the time to eliminate future regret and remorse.

Wish I could to travel back in time to my early 30s with the knowledge I have now.... I'm glad that you have the opportunity right in front of you.

Read the accounts of some of us and keep posting. We are here to help and many of us have lifetimes of experience with alcohol to share.

Best Wishes
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Calnat!