Notices

Cold Turkey versus Tapering??

Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey versus Tapering??

My husband does a lot of computer work has been taking a prescribed dosage of oxycodone. He's been having a lot of trouble seeing the computer screen, he can't sleep (even with a whole group of prescribed sleep meds) and he's very foggy for 1/2 his day. Much of this started when he went on the oxy a few years earlier.

He decided to go cold turkey on the meds figuring it would be about 5 days (bad guess). He's on day 7 and is still having a lot of blurry vision. He figures he might be able to work with the other side effects of withdrawal but his work requires that he can see. When he looks at a computer screen his eyes burn. He's using eye drops.

He is considering going back on a 1/4 dosage of the oxy from what he was taking with the hope his eyes will clear up and then try tapering. Does anyone know how this can affect his getting off the meds, and importantly, will having a very small amount help his vision stabilize? Or will even the slightest amount be a set back?

Any help is appreciated. The doctor doesn't really know what the effect would be on his vision.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We can't really tell him how to taper down safely. Only a doctor can do that. I strongly urge him to see the doctor for a medical detox.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First off, welcome. Sorry for what brings you here.

If he's through the withdrawals of quitting, going back to oxy is just going to reset the addiction right back to where it was. Does he really want to go through WDs again?

If his current doctor can't help with his eyes, he should seek a second opinion. Any discussion of resuming one's drug of choice to cure blurry vision is, in my opinion, is "addict thinking"
Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi thanks - I'm not looking for suggestions on how to taper.

The doctor doesn't know and has said that she doesn't have experience with someone starting out going cold turkey then adding a little back to ease withdrawal symptoms. I was hoping someone might have more experience with this.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You could pop over to the substance abuse forum. Traffic can be a little light but there is a wealth of experience there.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
First off, welcome. Sorry for what brings you here.

If he's through the withdrawals of quitting, going back to oxy is just going to reset the addiction right back to where it was. Does he really want to go through WDs again?

If his current doctor can't help with his eyes, he should seek a second opinion. Any discussion of resuming one's drug of choice to cure blurry vision is, in my opinion, is "addict thinking"
So even though he would be adding a fraction of what he was using it would probably set him back as though he hadn't started?

I would prefer him to stay off but if he can't see he can't work. He thinks if he adds a little back his eyes will stop being blurry. Called eye doctor and they said he has to wait till he's been off for at least 30 days. They also can't tell me if taking a little will stop the blurriness nor would they recommend he go back on it even though its prescribed.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I'm hoping to find someone who can tell me that once you go cold turkey that even adding a small amount of oxy back won't ease the vision issue and he should just stay off.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by clyn View Post
I guess I'm hoping to find someone who can tell me that once you go cold turkey that even adding a small amount of oxy back won't ease the vision issue and he should just stay off.
But we don't know that for sure. Everyone is different in their reactions so his reaction to going cold turkey could be completely different than someone else's. I'd see a different doctor, one who has knowledge of addiction issues.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I'll keep looking for info. He's 7 days into detox and said he can tolerate all the remaining symptoms but the blurry vision. That's only because he has to see to work.

It will take him months to get to see a doctor unless we can self pay and right now with him not working for over a week, he'd rather experiment.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by clyn View Post
It will take him months to get to see a doctor unless we can self pay and right now with him not working for over a week, he'd rather experiment.
It is important to remember tolerance to drugs is reduced while in withdrawal, and so even a little dose can have a huge unexpected effect. This reduction in tolerance is nothing to experiment with, imo. I've been on short duration of oxycodone for pain relief from post-op surgery - I had complete leg amputation and hip re-construction in 2012 - and once the initial withdrawal is successful, taking any future dose in the hope of for example improving blurry vision is unlikely to be successful -- and more importantly disregards the risk respective to reduced tolerance.

I would wait out any side effects until the oxycodone can be ruled out, and if the vision still has not improved, then seek medical advice from an ophthalmologist (a qualified MD) rather then simply an optometrist (who is not required to be a qualified MD). I am unsure if your already consulting with an MD.

This is not medical advice but simply speaking to the resources available, and the well known effect of reduced tolerance after withdrawal, and my experience with oxycodone.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice here clyn.

Like Carl said, if my eyes were blurry I wouldn't go back to oxy - I'd seek medical help - if that medical help wasn't very knowledgeable I'd find someone who is.

I think thats a normal, reasonable response.

There could be any number of reasons for the blurred vision - it may not even be withdrawal related.

D
Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Detox and blurred vision

OK - so the general consensus is that taking any oxy, even a much smaller dosage is unlikely to help his blurry vision symptoms.

His doctor told him that occasional vision issues are a common side effect on any opiate plus he has a heart condition and other meds in combination just make it worse. And constant blurry vision is almost a given during detox. She didn't give him a time frame it might clear up nor had any idea if taking a smaller dose once he's started on withdrawal would ease up the blurry vision. Doesn't seem anyone knows that answer but hearing what you all are saying it seems he should just wait it out.

He has had tests on his eyes to rule out other possible issues so at this time we can only assume its withdrawal.

The doctor said that opiates can cause some ocular muscle I think it was a muscle) to stay in constant spasm. When you detox the muscle over relaxes for a period of time as it isn't getting the correct chemical commands to tighten and relax as it should to help adjust to different vision situations. She said most people will experience the "owl" look during detox which is huge pupil dilation. This contributes to the blurry vision.

Thanks SUPER much for all these answers. I'll continue to monitor any other responses
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a Dr. None of us are
We can't give you medical advice here by our rules.

What I said was going back to oxy doesn't seem like a rational decision.
Getting more medical help and input does.

D
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As an ex heroin addict (which is what oxy is) , I'd say he has done the very hard part especially after taking oxy for years... So well done him ! He's broken the back of the addiction... He must not take any more oxy whatsoever. He needs to step down a few gears and sleep, relax, sleep and take it easy as much as possible... Eat well, drink loads of water... Good luck and well done ..