OT - job interviews

Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - job interviews

When you have big gaps in your work history, how do you explain that in a job interview? What if you weren't really doing anything particularly productive at that time? What do you say?

I have an interview tomorrow and I almost don't even want to go, I don't think I'm going to do well in the interview because I don't have a lot of experience...at least not the kind employers are looking for...it's for minimum wage at a fast food restaurant...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think you would have to explain yourself too much for a min wage job. If you graduated high school and have some sort of work history you already ahead in the game.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long was your gap and what did you do during that time?

If you had children or family to care for that seems to be a reasonable excuse nobody can discredit you for.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I don't think you would have to explain yourself too much for a min wage job. If you graduated high school and have some sort of work history you already ahead in the game.
That's what I used to think...but then got unpleasantly surprised.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamthird View Post
How long was your gap and what did you do during that time?

If you had children or family to care for that seems to be a reasonable excuse nobody can discredit you for.
Don't have either of those.

I have two gaps, I was in school, and wasting time on the internets.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In this economy they have a lot of overqualified people working in these type of jobs. They also like to hire people without papers for other reasons. good luck. don't think you are not going to get hired such because the interviewer is putting you through the ringer
Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In this economy they have a lot of overqualified people working in these type of jobs. They also like to hire people without papers for other reasons. good luck. don't think you are not going to get hired such because the interviewer is putting you through the ringer
The last time this happened, the interviewer put me through the ringer and I bombed the interview. She took a piece of paper and literally drew out a timeline of my work history. She kept asking me if I had any other work experience (after I'd already told her everything I'd had) and I had to tell her no.

She also answered her phone in the middle of the interview, so it got paused while she was on the phone.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

she probably hired people with no record whatsoever that don't speak English so don't take it personal
Old 02-10-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

she probably hired people with no record whatsoever that don't speak English so don't take it personal
LOL...funny, that interview was for a job at a grocery store that caters to Hispanics. I speak Spanish fluently and I told her about that, but she didn't seem to care or be too impressed.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if it was a while ago, then if the interviewer queries it, tell them you were in school and had to focus on that but also you were younger and weren't as realistic or focussed about work. but you've grown up, you understand working hard and if they give you a chance you'll demonstrate that. I don't know if it's legal where you are but you could offer to trial for a day to prove yourself.

there's no point making stuff up, and you still may not get the job, but it shows an honesty and maturity that will come through your body language and attitude.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think the trial for a day thing is legal in the US.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Regarding the gaps, say that you took time off for school and that you took time off to explore your hobbies. Then talk up your Internet hobbies and make them sound as interesting as possible. Good luck to you!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

if you are bilingual you could teach English to the Hispanic community. My sister did that. Money on the side anyway. There must be someplace that will hire a bilingual person. I would hope so
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

choublak, I wonder if you'd be interested in a job as a medical interpreter? I worked as a medical transcriptionist for 9 years. When that field began to peter out, I looked into medical interpretation, as I knew all the medical terminology and would have been glad to learn the Spanish I needed. However, I found that the programs for medical interpreters in my area only wanted you if you were ALREADY fluent in Spanish; they would teach you the medical terminology and then you'd go find a job.

I see a fair number of positions open for this job in my area. Most are part time, but since the hourly pay seems pretty good, that might be just fine.

Maybe something to look into?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Those managers are not really even qualified to make sound hiring decisions. For a minimum wage position, gaps in job history are not a big deal. Unfortunately it's luck of the draw if you get a HM that's worth anything.

What I would focus on is your dependability and reliability. Those managers are constantly sweating it out to see who shows up for work daily, escpecially the younger kids that work there. If they are short staffed it makes their life hell. I would really talk about the fact that you don't call off or miss work ever. You are someone that can be trusted and counted on each and every day. Make sure they know you are looking for something stable and not plan on switching jobs for some time.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
choublak, I wonder if you'd be interested in a job as a medical interpreter? I worked as a medical transcriptionist for 9 years. When that field began to peter out, I looked into medical interpretation, as I knew all the medical terminology and would have been glad to learn the Spanish I needed. However, I found that the programs for medical interpreters in my area only wanted you if you were ALREADY fluent in Spanish; they would teach you the medical terminology and then you'd go find a job.

I see a fair number of positions open for this job in my area. Most are part time, but since the hourly pay seems pretty good, that might be just fine.

Maybe something to look into?
They have certification programs for that. Unfortunately, those cost money, which I don't have right now. Very catch-22. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

During that same interview, she also asked me what my goals were. I didn't know. I remember thinking to myself, "I'm trying to approach things "one day at a time" and people want to know what my goals are?"
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One interview is not all interviews. She sounds like a terrible hiring manager. Unless she is personally interviewing again for this job, I wouldn't concentrate on that one solitary experience.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
She sounds like a terrible hiring manager.
I'm curious, why do you say that?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lots of places uses scripts for interviews so just be prepared. You'll see those questions about goals, periods of unemployment, things you dislike, personal strengths and weaknesses, accomplishments, how you problem solve, etc. over and over. You can google and find more to help you prepare.

I totally agree with steelman - if you are a punctual, dependable, reliable, hardworking, team player - talk those traits up. That is what people are hiring for in an entry level position. They will teach you the steps of the job - but they can't teach you those types of things. You hire for the person, train for the job. That is why they ask so many questions that have nothing to do with the job.

The concern with a spotty work history is that the person is a) extremely flaky and unreliable or b) hiding something and are just not reporting where they worked during those times or c) criminals/addicts. Your answers should erase those notions and they won't care about the spotty employment.

Good luck!