OT - job interviews

Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How are you supposed to answer the question "why do you want THIS job?"
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The concern with a spotty work history is that the person is a) extremely flaky and unreliable or b) hiding something and are just not reporting where they worked during those times or c) criminals/addicts.
Maybe that's why she kept asking me "do you have ANY other work experience?" maybe I came across as hiding something.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree, she sounds like a bad hiring manager. I assume you filled out an application and she was just looking at your work history list and that is why she drew your work timeline for her own visualization to see gaps? If she was shaming at all, that is one reason why she was bad in the HM role.

Preparation for the questions mentioned about is really important for a job interview. You want to convey that you care enough about the job and the company that you did your research and are prepared. These things can vary by the job. I.E. customer service vs back room. Service vs products.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
I agree, she sounds like a bad hiring manager. I assume you filled out an application and she was just looking at your work history list and that is why she drew your work timeline for her own visualization to see gaps? If she was shaming at all, that is one reason why she was bad in the HM role.
I had filled out an application online and she had a printed copy of that, and like halfway through the interview she started drawing the timeline.

And she was the Human Resources manager, not sure if that's the same thing as a Hiring Manager. Maybe the store didn't have separate people for each one of those.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
If she was shaming at all, that is one reason why she was bad in the HM role.
I don't think she drew the timeline for the purpose of shaming me lol. She drew it to try to get an idea of what I've been doing with my time, which was a fair question.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What are your goals for working the deep fryer at Mcdonalds? and she expects you to be honest about that? Tell her you want to make the crispiest most delicious fries the place has ever seen. or tell her you want to take over her job.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
What are your goals for working the deep fryer at Mcdonalds? and she expects you to be honest about that? Tell her you want to make the crispiest most delicious fries the place has ever seen. or tell her you want to take over her job.
That interview was for a cashier job at a grocery store lol.

And this interview is for the restaurant chain Chipotle.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Human resource manager is who you go to if you feel your being harassed or discriminated. He or she will usually try to hire a certain amount from certain ethnic groups in a given area. when I applied for Home Depot years ago I couldn't get a job anywhere. Then i went to this Home Depot in the area with no white people..some nice girl there gave me the phone number to the HR manager. She couldn't getting me out working on the floor fast enough. I was one of 3 white employees. btw..costco is a good place for those type of jobs if you have one nearby
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hiring manager is the person you interview with who actually decides who gets the position. in big companies and most government jobs, your application and resume pass through an HR manager and then gets submitted to the hiring manager, who decides to call you or not for what is usually a phone interview. they select a certain number from the phone interviews for in-person interviews (or skype interviews if you are far away) and then you can have one or more in-person interviews before they decide on an applicant. the process takes (at least where i have been) months.

for a minimum wage job in retail, my experience has been the store or assistant store manager does the hiring. process is faster and usually only one in person interview like you had.

ultimately, you have to be prepared for similar questions in most interviews. there is a method called STAR interviews. Situation, task, action, results. where you are asked to give an experience (situation where you were tasked with something), the actions you took to achieve it and the results yielded (some place prefer quantitative results- numerical metrics). you can google the term star interview and see hints about preparing.

honestly, the biggest things that i looked for and things that people looked for in me at entry level positions were:
honesty/integrity-are you consistent in your answers, do you make eye contact, are you speaking with confidence, are you fidgeting too much, in your answers demonstrate honesty
reliability- be early to the interview, give examples in your answers where you stuck it out and helped for the greater good of the project/company
personality- team player, polite and engaging, not arrogant, let the interviewer lead the discussion
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

-think of positive customer service examples from your past where you helped people and/or resolved customer complaints
-are you good with math/money? if so, how?
-why chipoltle? check out the company's website and review their mission or company goals. are these similar to your own values? how?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I remember sometimes at interviews I would get asked these grade school artsy fartsy questions like..If you were an animal which one would you be and why? I think if somebody asked me that question today at an interview I might ask them look..are you going to hire me or not? i don't have time for this...lol i know that would be really bad to say though
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thing is...at that grocery store interview, she was so caught up in trying to "figure out" my work history, that she didn't even ask me any of those "typical" questions, so now I feel like I can't even get past that part and get to the questions!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Thing is...at that grocery store interview, she was so caught up in trying to "figure out" my work history, that she didn't even ask me any of those "typical" questions, so now I feel like I can't even get past that part and get to the questions!
she may have been looking for an excuse not to hire you..because she already made her decision before you sat down..it happens..just keep your chin up
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If you were an animal which one would you be and why?
I'd be an animal that can't hear, so I don't have to listen to these BS questions.

I'd be a human so that I can work here, because it's my dream job.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'd be a seal because I like seals..and that's all id say

they want you to say you are a dog because you are loyal and good natured or something like that
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
ahahahaha I'm loving it!

Oh wait, I accidentally made a McDonalds joke.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

These min wage job interviewers seem to pretend that they expect you to have your career at their est. that hardly ever happens and I feel sad for the people it happens to. you have to act like you are planning to work there a while
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

chu..look up jobs for bilingual people..you might be able to land a desk job in a med clinic without any training...decent pay. you can go to Latin America..they are always looking foe English teachers..you wont get paid much but i would be really fun
Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't yet have my bachelor's degree. Almost finished, but ran out of money/made some bad decisions.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
They have certification programs for that. Unfortunately, those cost money, which I don't have right now. Very catch-22. Thanks anyway.
Hmm, then can you beam your fluency in Spanish into MY head?

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as impossible unless I'd checked out the options for financing first. My local tech school offers a technical diploma in 3 semesters of 8, 6 and 5 credits each for about $3000 total, including books. The certification site here Get Certified | The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters shows the total fee for certification is less than $500. For a job that averages $37K a year here in Wisconsin, that doesn't seem like a huge investment.

Many times, as a nontraditional student, you find yourself eligible for grants and loans that you never imagined existed.

Best wishes.