Notices

Disgusted with smoking

Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disgusted with smoking

I realized today how truly tired of smoking I am, and then I lit another cigarette.

I'm setting my quit day for Monday. I've been 'trying to quit' for years, but my only relatively recent serious attempt was back in June. I read Allen Carr's book and got all revved up to quit but only lasted a couple days. But, I was still drinking then and couldn't do wine without cigarettes. I'm almost six months sober now and am ready to be rid of this expensive, disgusting habit.

I would love to hear about the positive things you noticed after quitting for extra motivation during the first few days. I'm kind of scared to quit, but cigarettes aren't helping me 'cope' or de-stress in anyway...it's all in my mind. I imagine some positives of quitting would be not trying desperately to hide the smell, more energy, saved money, saved time, more productivity, no obsession about the next cig, not obsessing over future illnesses.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did quit 120 days ago and I think there are several benefits.

My breathing was starting to get impacted and that has become a lot better. It is a hassle to smoke today , you have to find a place where it is allowed, go outside in the cold, not to have to think about that is a huge relieve. Smoking adds to the stress it brings the body in a more agitated state, avoiding that is also a benefit.

I still have urges at times and have to wait the out, but all in all – it is great to get rid of this habit.

It was very hard for me the first week but it gets slowly easier and easier.

Good luck with it Kadidee.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

I have made 3 serious attempts in my life to quit. The first time the dog left home and tootsie roll stock when up. I was very young and IF I was going to make it-seemed like that would have been it.

The second time, cessation aids had been made available. I used them ALL. Patches, Gum, E Cig and Wellbutrin. I started out wearing 2-3 patches at a time and weened down. I was a bitch from hell, gained 30 lbs, but I quit. I continued to gain a bit of weight 2-4 lbs per year. Then one day I let stress (after an argument with my nephew) and my husbands dumb ass reaction (pk your clothes and leave if you can't get along) get to me & I bought a pk. Before you know it I was smoking 1.5 -- 2 pks per day. I did loose about 20 of the 40 total lbs I had gained, but no more.

2nd time only lasted about 8-9 months when my husband walked in threw down the only pk of cigarettes he ever bought me and said "I want my wife back". I had gained another 30-35 pounds and was now OBESE + irate. After starting back smoking I dropped about 20 lbs but that left me with a 50lb weight gain and Smoking.

I have managed to get down to a pack every 2 days, without gaining anymore weight, but I can not seem to make that final step. I quit drinking no problem, but now I have just quit cokes & ice-cream. (pre-diabetic from all sugar I consumed-seems ice-cream became my new drug of choice). Summer is coming and I smoke more when we hit the beaches and fishing and I want to quit before then. I too need some ESH on HOW to get through the withdrawals. Right now I am a full time caregiver for my Dad with Alzheimer's (he's 87) in addition to working Part-time. Leaving Dad alone is not an option and I can't afford any more "help" than what I already pay for. (Like when I work or go buy groceries, etc.) We do not qualify for aid.

I am afraid of smoking more through this stress period and never being able to lay the things down. I too need to hear some success stories. If you all have em, please share.