Notices

To quit or not to quit

Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To quit or not to quit

I have been smoking for over half my life - yes, there were times when I was a slave to it. It started out when I was eleven and out of peer pressure because I knew nothing about it back then but a friend of mine convinced me to buy them. It became an escape thing when I was teenager., but not something I did regularly until I was about eighteen.

I smoked more than a pack a day by my early twenties, then I stopped cold turkey in my mid-twenties. I started again in my late twenties then kept it only to evenings, or weekends, when I socialized with alcohol.

Now at age thirty-four it's an off and on thing for me. I'm at a point where I don't smoke everyday, but I know I am still addicted to smoking by association, either on a social level or due to stress.

Smoking cigarettes is a habit that embarrasses me, and makes me feel ashamed, I hate being seen doing it in public. I hate the smell of it on my clothes, hair and breath. It has begun to ruin my teeth, and I feel it in my lungs after a night of smoking. I don't want to be identified as a smoker.

Aside from all the obvious disadvantages of it, I still like the act of it and I like having it as a possession, and a thing that I either choose or choose not to do. I don't know if I can stop all together.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you've listed alot of disadvantages to smoking there... i think you've answered your own question...

have you got friends that don't smoke that you could go out with for the first few times you go out smoke free..? or maybe try one of those electronic cigarettes instead for one night and decide if you can do without the real thing or not?

goodluck
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well Bluegem, you might be my only friend who doesn't smoke - but for now I think I have to break from old habits all together.

Thank you for your response.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recently quit smoking (August 1st) and I feel SO much better for it. I smoked a lot more than you - about 20 a day, though I got it down to 10 before I quit. I am using patches, a nicotine inhaler and an E-cig. The E-cig is FANTASTIC but I'm trying not to use it so much because it is SO similar to smoking that I feel as though I'm just prolonging the agony of quitting! But for now I'm using the inhaler and the E-cig when I am frazzled and in need of a quick nicotine hit. The patches have been a lifesaver - they really, really help. I probably get cravings for nicotine three-ish times a day.

Since I've quit my fitness has improved so much, also. It's amazing - I didn't realise that exercise could be so refreshing! My lungs feel fabulous afterwards now, rather than in pain!

Good luck x
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been smoking on and off for the past 8 years. I have not been able to completely quit, but I am down to smoking only on weekends. It's better than smoking everyday.

I would say try to smoke as little as possible. Don't look at it as all or nothing. Smoking once a week is much better than seven days a week.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool I quit fully and completely

Originally Posted by meddle40 View Post
I have been smoking on and off for the past 8 years. I have not been able to completely quit, but I am down to smoking only on weekends. It's better than smoking everyday.

I would say try to smoke as little as possible. Don't look at it as all or nothing. Smoking once a week is much better than seven days a week.
Since this big contemplation of mine, I have quit. I explained how in another thread of mine.

I haven't picked up a cigarette since Wednesday, September 4, 2013.

It's been over 7 months already and I haven't regretted a single day without a cigarette!