Notices

1 Week today.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Week today.

Just thought i'd share my positive news. I'm sober 1 week. I really feel that this time its so so different as I have AA now and have many people to turn to for support. I'm going to have Pizza tonight and see some old friends. I have bought the non alcoholic Becks as I have been drinking these all week and find them to be rather satisfying and without the headache, depression and more importantly, Hangover. I am aware that many of you on here advise against the non alcoholic drinks but I seem to be getting on well with them. Anyway, here's to a great weekend ahead and I wish you all the same happiness. RJ
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well done!! congratulations.

I have thought about the NA's and come to the conclusion that for me, it's a risky ground. I prefer to have water or sodawater and juices.... the rationale is that hey, it tastes good and it's overall healthier for me. I don't really need or want the taste of beer and am coming increasingly to appreciate the benefits sobriety brings my body.... including less sugar, chemicals and better hydration because I drink things that are actually good for me.

But - if it's working for you... that's what matters.

Keep up the sobriety!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week! Sounds like sobriety suits you.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
I'm going to have Pizza tonight and see some old friends.
Drinking friends? You know why I'm asking, RJY.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Drinking friends? You know why I'm asking, RJY.
All my friends have been drinking friends hahah. Its fine, I have told them they can drink away! I'm not fussed. HONESTLY I'm not. I am going to do this and I can handle seeing them drink because I have AA now and SR and I am turning my life around once and for all. I'm sick of tired of being sick and tired. I'm not about to start controlling what my friends do because they aren't the ones with the drink problem. They asked me if I was ok with it so they are supportive. I just want to be normal and if they want to drink, then let them. Me on the other hand will be on Coca Cola and NA beer and stuffing my already oversized body full of Pizza. My will power and will to succeed is something else right now. I wouldn't take any alcohol if you paid me.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on one week sober!

I could not have been around people drinking alcohol at that point in my recovery.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on a week sober, RJY
Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on one week. Have a fun weekend xx
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week. Let us know how it was hanging with friends who were drinking alcohol, how you managed cravings, the alcoholic voice, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on the week RJY. I know you don't intend to drink tonight, and you don't plan to drink -but remember you are still merely days into your recovery. Make sure you have a plan to get out if you can't handle being around the drinking - because it's still possible that your friends will pressure you to drink even if you ask them not to. They don't understand what being an alcoholic means, so many simply cannot fathom how it woudln't hurt to have "just a few".

I did the same thing you did with the NA beer after I quit as well, and while it wasn't alchohol I eventually started drinking it like it was. I found myself trying to calculate out how many I could theoretically drink without introducing measurable alcohol into my system, hiding it, drinking it quickly, etc.. While it didn't lead to regular beer again for me, i can easily see how it might have if I hadn't quit it.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have a week RJY - congrats

I remember about a week or two out from my 'last ever drink' (which was actually several years away from my real last ever drink, but anyway...)

I'd been doing well - I was sober and I'd even gotten through a few occasions with friends just me drinking NA beer.

This night, I decided to go around to a mate's place - not for a drink but just for a game of darts and a BBQ.

A few others came over too. I sat there watching the other guys drinking - I had a few NA beers with me) and after a while I got really angry that they were having more fun than I was.

I was bored, I was angry, and I felt like I was a third wheel.

so I dumped the NA beer and decided to have a couple of real beers...just for the night.

That was the end of that sobriety attempt.

Don't overestimate yourself RJY - or underestimate your addiction.

D