Notices

Snow Storms

Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Snow Storms

I really loved to drink during snow storms. This past Tuesday there was a nice snow storm that started early in the morning, I was let out of work around 1pm and the snow fell into the night. I thought about going to the store and getting myself some beer to enjoy in the snow storm. But I decided against it. The more I thought about it the more I remembered I also liked to drink when it was rainy. Or when it was cold, or when it was hot, or when it was fall or spring. I liked to drink when I had bad days, and when I had good days. I like to drink with friends, but also like to drink alone. I drank to reward myself for eating healthy or exercising, but also drank for being depressed for not being healthy. I decided against it because I know where it would lead if I slipped.

The thoughts of drinking came and went, but then I was bored out of my mind. I was too tired/lazy to do anything about it so I sat with boredom for a while. I paid attention to my breathing, let my thoughts come and go like clouds in the sky. Before I knew it, the feeling of boredom was replaced with content. Then I took a nap...

If I would have drank, I wouldn't have had the wonderful nap I took. I wouldn't have did my calisthenics workout. I wouldn't have had the healthy dinner I made. I wouldn't have did my laundry. I wouldn't have washed the dishes. I wouldn't have showered. Or flossed and brushed my teeth before bed. I would have woke up with a headache, got to work late and been a depressed miserable SOB all day. I would have missed Yoga class. And I'd most likely be drunk again tonight.

Good luck everyone, don't give in, and don't give up...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcohol and Marijuana free since 9/8/13 Tobacco free 10/31/10
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

real cool... thank you.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MB8

Awesome post!!!!!! Very inspiring. Thnx for sharing. MB8
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I drank every day. Funny how the weather always seemed to accommodate that.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Lovely post, gr9813. And you've managed to keep a wonderful sense of humour too!

I do hope the snow storm isn't too bad and you're able to stay safe. Sending you warm vibes from the UK!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to love to drink during snow too! Now I noticed it's more fun to walk in the snow sober. I notice more. The way the snow sounds under my feet at different temperatures. The rate of snowfall. Seems harder to stay warm though
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by SnowDawg View Post
I used to love to drink during snow too! Now I noticed it's more fun to walk in the snow sober. I notice more. The way the snow sounds under my feet at different temperatures. The rate of snowfall. Seems harder to stay warm though
I seem to notice and appreciate everything a lot more now I'm sober. It really is like seeing things through brand new eyes! What an amazing gift this is
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good job on staying sober and treating yourself well.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Now I noticed it's more fun to walk in the snow sober"...better than falling down in the snow, drunk.

Great post. I loved drinking when it was rainy. Laughed out loud at what DoggoneCarl wrote - weather is so accommodating for us alcoholics.

Anyone triggered to drink by snow storms is going to be shut in for days and days and days.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

very inspiring, thank you
Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Crap...Its snowing again. Instead of dealing with the AV battle that I get when I see snow, I decided to go to the local golf course to do some free snowboarding... I plan to strap on a heart rate monitor to see how many calories I can burn walking back up the hill after each run.
I remember when I was a kid, I was all excited to go sleigh riding when it snowed. I'm going to let me inner child out, and we're gonna play in the snow.