Notices

Does any of this actually help?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does any of this actually help?

Maybe that's a silly question, but I'm being honest. Does anything actually get better, or do people use buzzwords and codewords and nonsense to make it sound like they're getting better?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chopper

All I can tell you is I stumbled in here 7 years ago - I was an all day everyday drinker, and I nearly literally died from my drinking.

The support and understanding I received from this community helped me turn my life around.

Read around and post as much as you like.
We're all real people with real stories here

D
Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

12 days in for me Chopper, and its working for me. No codes, no buzz, just a struggling drunk from the AZ. Welcome
Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There will always be people that "talk the talk" but don't "walk the walk". If you're looking for them you will find them.

If you looking for real sobriety and recovery, you'll find that too.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
Maybe that's a silly question, but I'm being honest. Does anything actually get better, or do people use buzzwords and codewords and nonsense to make it sound like they're getting better?
the only thing i know if i pickup again it will get worse.a hate abbriveations
Old 02-02-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Chopper.

Yes it does get better,it takes time though,it dosen't happen overnight.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself ChopperX, but participating in this forum is a major factor in my staying sober. Sure, there is a bit of jargon to deal with, just as there is in any group endeavor, but there is 24/7 support here if you want it.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My life is light years away from the life I had before I ever picked up a drink, and my first year of sobriety. I won't even include WHILE I was drinking. I had no life before recovery. Was an unemployable HS dropout who's only job experience was working for a messenger service. Now I'm college grad, HS teacher, landlord, husband, performing musician, and I could go on and on and on. I've vacationed and traveled throughout the US and many other parts of the world, I've overcome countless fears, and most importantly... I'm not a slave to any substance. I'm free.

I have to be honest about something though. While I know this isn't the case for a lot of people here, this forum is NOT how I got to experience all I have. I get to share a lot here, work a few things out, but I don't really consider this forum a tool for my recovery. If anything, sometimes it's more of way to close out the rest of the world. And can be addictive in iteself. I myself doubt I'd be sober if this were my support network, but that's not to say it isn't working for others. I believe it can be a good tool for a newcomer, but wouldn't recommend it as a one's main support system. I am also an old school kinda guy who thinks half the planet is addicted to electronics, yet is in denial about it. I needed a detox, rehab, AA, the 12 steps, outpatient counseling, therapy, AND I needed to take all of the suggestions that were given to me. I needed to be as honest, willing, and open minded as I could possibly be (are those buzzwords? ), and I needed to commit to not picking up that first drink, no matter what went down in my life.

I believe we get out of our sobriety what we put into it. If we do little, we will have little return. If we dive in completely, the rewards can be beyond our craziest dreams. That's been my experience, anyhow.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have only been here a few months and have witnessed much success already. xxxx
Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Although I had been a few days sober before I joined I'm sure what's kept me that way is SR. And I'm spreading the word.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! This site is amazing and has done so much for me!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi. This site with the helpful people is VG for the beginner and others needing to remember when the pain was within themselves. It along with other aids can be great IF they are used and practiced on a daily basis. Unfortunately many forget because of our dis ease and relapse instead of remaining sober. I don't know which recovery plan works the best in the long run, +20 years, tho I do have my favorite on a day to day repent from alcohol. It works IF we work it.

BE WELL
Old 02-02-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This site has really helped me too. I had an honest desire to stop drinking so I think that is really important to start with. By the time I really used this site as a tool to stop, I had already decided not to drink anymore. SR helped me to stay on the path to sobriety.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ya may want to take a read of some fo the sories of recovery here:
Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

one common denominator in em: action.

hope. its a very powerful word.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think everyone finds their own way in trying to be Sober, an active community that is here all the time provides an outlet, support and advice to get through the tough times.

The most important thing is, people do remain Sober as a result of SR, so I give it a big thumbs up!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

there are no magic code words or buzzz words that make us better.

But yes, we do get better, and life gets better...and seriously, why would we bother to come here so we could lie and tell other people our lives are better sober?

That's messed up thinking. I come here to learn to live sober, and after I did, to help others who are in the misery of addiction or the misery of early recovery. To give them the hope other people here gave me...so I pushed over the hump and found my own happy.

Every day sober isn't great, but life is way better now than when I was in active addiction.

But I made it that way, using the ideas and encouragement of people here.

it gets better...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"Take what you like & leave the rest."

Buzzword? Slogany? Code words?

Maybe. But it helps remind me to get rid of my judgement and focus on what helps ME in my recovery. Each of our journeys are the same - yet different. A set of words may save someone's life. Who am I to say if it really works or not? A life saved in enough evidence for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes the same phrases are used because they state the purpose so well. Like "one day at a time". Seems oversimplified but if you think about it, we can only live one day at a time. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here yet, so we must live in the day.

I'm living proof that this site helps. I came here a hopeless drunk and now I've been sober over four years.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, sober life is better if you are an alcoholic. Every facet of my life is better since I quit without exception.