Notices

Where everyone knows your name

Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where everyone knows your name

When leaving work each day I have to pass my neighborhood bar. It's like my own Cheers in that my beer is waiting for me when i walk in. I thought about stopping there for about the last two hours before work ended. I posted earlier about the anxiety I have had today an thought, hey stopping in thre for a little bit will get rid of this anxiety.

Problem is tomorrow it will be back like always. Anyway, I drove by it did not stop and almost turned around but I didn't. This place must be blacklisted. My mind keeps telling me " but what about all your friends" which I proceeded to tell myself, "friends?" These people don't really know me. They know nothing about me except I am there drinking beside them talking about pointless things that will do nothing to improve my life.

Sorry for the ranting post but just wanted to vent. This site is my only resource to do so.

I chalk it up to a small victory for the day!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd call that a big victory!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job!!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Charlie I can definitely relate. It's so hard to rise above those temptations - but you made it over a huge hurdle. Be proud - and carry on. You will have less of those challenging moments as you get some sober time behind you.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job not stopping! It'll get easier and easier.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

might consider taking the scenic route for a while until, you drive by with out glancing in that direction
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Here's to you, Charlie!

So proud of you Charlie! You have reached that turning point in your life where you are realizing that drinking buddies aren't really friends. For the most part, they are just other alcoholics who enjoy the company of other alcoholics.

It can be a hard thing to do but distancing yourself from those people will show you who your true friends are. Soon you will find out if anyone cares. If they call to see how you are doing, that may offer some hope of true friendship. I went through the same process after walking away from my local brewery about 7 years ago and the truth was revealed. Now I know who my true friends are and my life is SO much better without the drama and BS that goes with being a barfly.

Remember that misery loves company and so do alcoholics.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job, Charlie!
I had a bar across the street from my apartment that I used to go to every night. The regulars were there all the time. All the time. The bartender knew my drink.
After I had been sober for about a year, I ran into one of the regulars at the grocery store. He had a flushed face and red nose and I could not for the life of me remember his name. I do remember that he had this big dream of being on 'The Price is Right'.
I drive past the bar a lot. I haven't thought about going inside in years.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks EVERYONE for the comments and support it helped me get through another night.

And to olive1 I don't for the life of me know why but your post related to the guy and his dream of the the price is right is freaking hilarious! I am cracking up
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Charlie, my cheers was unfortunately right across the street. I enter and the beer and trough of voldka waiting at my station. The smart a s s bartender usually announcing to the clan that trouble has entered the building. A sweet thing on his part but hearing playback in my head make my stomach turn a bit now.

So I can relate.

I would drive by and try to see who is there. Think once I was home safe that I was...safe. But I was always thinking that I must be missing something. Some joke I could get in. A word of drunk wisdom I could bestow.

You have a good head about it. Yeah... You want to go there. But you, unlike many who never stop, know what you will get by going. Nothing but what got you here in the first place.

That's not just a win. That's the start of a new life.

Congrats to you.

Ken
Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like the quote "True friends are like diamonds-precious and rare. False friends are like leaves, found everywhere". Definitely true for an alcoholic.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done ;-))))

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job of not caving in - I'd call that a definite victory!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

We had a bar like that, but I don't have to drive by it too often And those 'friends'?, I haven't heard a word from any of them in the 5+ years I have been sober.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all of the support. There is no doubt in my mind that without SR I would have been there yesterday. Another day under my belt!

One more thing, I woke up feeling great. I keep forgetting how good It feels. Thanks SR (my only support system)