Notices

Dealing with issues after quitting drinking

Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with issues after quitting drinking

I quit drinking a while ago now. Since then my anxiety has been just crushing me . When going through withdrawal I didn't have these issues, the physical pain distracted me from them. My main problem at the moment is struggling to find work: I passed a lifeguard course in the hope that it would be a step towards becoming a swimming teacher. I have an interview on monday and am absolutely petrified, I can't sleep, I feel like the walls are closing in.

It has become painfully obvious why I drank.

Anyone else sobered up with anxiety/depression? Did anything help or is it just something you learned to live with?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mr Ben - finding work in the UK is a major pain at the moment isn't it.
Have you had a chat with your Doctor? Perhaps get something temporarily to get you over this?
Good luck on Monday!! I tend to panic like crazy before interviews/the dentist etc etc, but always find once I'm there and 'committed' to doing whatever it is - it's a lot easier.
I'm sure you'll be just fine
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My main issue is explaining away the time I was too drunk to work (as a writer, that's quite a challenge. Ask Hemingway). My best option so far is claiming I went travelling after university, because that's what people do after university. I know, I know, don't lie on your CV. But the truth "I was unemployed, drunk and attempting to see how many roll ups I could smoke between toilet breaks" will probably see me remaining jobless for quite some time.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be careful lying on CV's - you'll get the job, but if they find out afterwards, you'll be in an even worse position re: trying to claim anything.
Did you do any studying of any kind - even if just online? 'Furthering education' always looks good
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only way they could find out with travelling would be through checking my passport, where they would find a stamp to Spain as I recently went to visit my brother there.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Right now my business is slow and people owe me money. I am anxious but know if I drink
A) I'll feel like hell
B) I'll be spending money, a bad thing when times are tight.
C) Absolutely counterproductive, any way I look at it.

You'll worry and have depressive times not drinking, sure.
But to me at least the feelings are more rational, if that makes any sense.

Like it's been said, "EVERYTHING WORKS IF YOU LET IT".

D.D.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah Dan - at least not drinking, you're in a better position and thinking more clearly, to cope with life's up's and down's huh?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah. It's strange, it's almost like I'm relearning how to deal with life again. I'm sure I will find it easier to cope with time, I just need to shut up the voice that tells me I'm worthless the same way I shut up the voice that told me to drink.