Notices

Rising above it..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rising above it..

I'm enjoying life without booze right now.

I get so much pleasure in finding myself in situations where I'd normally drink and then I just.. don't. And the next morning my head is clear and I'm ready to start the day.

We had friends over a couple of nights ago for dinner. My boyfriend and his friend opened up a bottle of good beer which I'd normally be all over. I admit, I was a bit sad because it's something I would have liked to experience but it was fine. I stuck with my seltzer water and had a nice time chatting up my girlfriend. And get this, I was the first one to suggest putting on a pot of coffee! Can you even imagine!

We decided to throw a Super Bowl party at our place. Drinks will, I'm sure, be flowing but.. I'm not nervous about it at all. This is my way of life now. I'm going to spend the time talking to friends and laughing and enjoying those moments through a bright, sharp mind instead of a tired and hazy one. Plus.. I just love to host parties so I'm looking forward to it.

Life. Is. Good.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Nikkabean It's fantastic that you feel so confident, it really is.
I don't think I could throw a party and be safe after 20 days and I can't help worrying that perhaps you're doing 'too much too soon'.
Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll be just fine - SR is always here 24/7
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a fabulous post . . . so happy to hear that you are truly enjoying your life without alcohol! There's something magnificent about enjoying an evening with a "bright, sharp mind" rather than feeling "tired and hazy." Well said.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're feeling so good about your sobriety.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a good weekend with friends

Please do be careful though placing yourself in drinking situations so early on. The urge to drink hit me totally unexpectedly at 6 weeks in a social drinking situation. I had been cruising along so well but had learnt no ways of coping with or dealing with real hard core urges so had no coping skills. I therefore drank.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling good.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome job, Nikka. I love the not hungover feeling, too!

I threw a party for a friend about a month after I stopped drinking. It was hard and I definitely had some triggers...but was able to keep myself busy in the kitchen and had a plan prior to the party started to deal with any challenges that came up (keep busy in the kitchen, eat, take a breather in my bedroom, always have soda water or water on-hand). I would add 'post to SR' to the list.

My 2 cents is to have a plan that works for you, one that helps to support you and your sobriety.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing well Nikka

I do agree with the note of caution tho - it's early days...having gotten through some situations doesn't necessarily confer lifetime immunity. I know that from painful experience.

Tread carefully.

D
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's advice. You guys have all been great these past few weeks and I'm sure you'll continue to be a source of support and understanding.

My situation is hard to explain. Not drinking hasn't been that hard. I've put myself in situations that should have been difficult. I've gone to parties, had friends over for dinner where alcohol was had and went to a BYOB painting class.. I don't crave alcohol. I never have. I don't know.. I made a decision. That decision sticks regardless of what scenario I find myself in. I just realized I'm sitting at my dining room table and sitting less than a foot from me are 47 bottles of beer. Some are from parties, some are specialty beers, some are just because it was a new brew that my boyfriend wanted to try. It doesn't really bother me.. I made my choice.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You sound strong and happy, Nikka, awesome. Keep it up. I too want to throw out a reminder to stay vigilant. For me, feeling strong can sometimes lead to a moment of weakness, a flash of vulnerability. Here's my little story (which I've told many times here, sorry if you've heard it). About 8 years ago, knowing full well I had a drinking problem, I stopped, cold turkey, all on my own. It was like a switch went off and I just stopped. I remember thinking how easy it was. It was just a decision. I was sober like this for almost 2 years. Then we hosted a christmas party. I was totally fine. Even went out and bought all the booze myself, had it in the house for a few days before the party. No thought at all of drinking. Then, after the party, a friend stayed to help us clean up. I was cleaning the table. There were some unopened beers on the table, Heineken, my old favorite. In a flash, so dang fast, I remember thinking, "it's been almost 2 years, I'm fine, one beer won't hurt," and before I could stop myself, I had opened it and was drinking it. Truth be told, I was fine for a few months, but way lead on to way and it took me almost 8 years to get that sobriety back. Just my story, but something to think about.