Notices

Recovering from Alcoholism

Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering from Alcoholism

A recent thread by Anna got me thinking a bit more about what it takes to recover from alcoholism and I got to comparing it with the rehabilitation often required for returning combat troops. According to what I have read they often suffer from insomnia, battle fatigue, sometimes feelings of guilt or disgust about things they have seen and done, dreams of extreme peril or suffering. And they may have to learn to walk again, cope with blindness and all the other damage that has been done to them.

So it is with alcoholism. The dreams about what it was like when your life was torn apart by drinking, things you had done, people you had hurt, places you had been, guilt, shame, and all the rest. The need to rehabilitate the body, restore its chemistry and neurology to its normal state. But, unlike war, with alcoholism there is the overriding spectre of knowing, or at least believing, that in part, perhaps in large part, you had brought much of this upon yourself. No one made you pick up that first drink.

A returning veteran at least may be welcomed as a hero (despite those who, hating war, may criticize him or her for having enlisted). Who is there to welcome back the returning alcoholic? Some, perhaps many, if he or she persists in sobriety, but there are still some who say that “the leopard never changes his spots”.

Alcohol may not only have damaged the body and brain (as combat may have afflicted the veteran) but, even more cruelly, it is likely to have postponed the maturity, emotional development which, but for drinking, could have taken place. With sobriety a recovering addict may have to go back, pick up where he or she left off years ago and start to do what should have been done, mature, develop self confidence, self respect, retrieve what remains of one’s soul.

Is it wrong however, to compare a returning veteran with an alcoholic? A slander on one who has done a service to his or her country? Indeed, this may be so. Yet the similarities remain. An alcoholic has also been at war. But that war has been with oneself; The battle has been within. Is this the hardest battle? The less likely to be won? And for those who have managed to win it, instead of medals and parades, a new life, a soul restored. No parade, but a walk again in the sunlight, another chance.

W.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lost a leg and most mobility in my other leg due to being driven over an IED when deployed in Iraq. I became an alcoholic after returning home. I certainly dont feel guilt or disgust about anything I have ever done when serving but I do wake up (and wake up my family) without fail every night for reasons I wont disclose here. I am still proud of my service but combat for me is a very different conflict to alcoholism. My struggle with alcoholism is because in live combat, being so close to death on numerous occasions makes you more alive than anything in the world and I will never feel that sensation again now that I am out. Both have bad effects, but I also have MANY good memories of my service and friends I have made for life. After being an alcoholic, I have neither of those things.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's actually a pretty interesting parallel.... I'd never thought of it that way.

And oh, what a battle those returning veterans who are also or become alcoholics must have to deal with....

Your post makes me grateful I've chosen sobriety while I am still able, and also grateful that my time in the military did not take me into combat.

Thanks for helping me stay sober today.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scott76:
As a former member of the armed services (Navy) many many years ago I can identify with and highly respect the service you have given to this nation and the sacrifices you have made. But the last sentence of your message troubles me: "Both have bad effects, but I also have MANY good memories of my service and friends I have made for life. After being an alcoholic, I have neither of those things." Has becoming an alcoholic taken away the courage you have shown, the memories of your comrades and what they did, the pride you must have from what you have done? Reading this more carefully I surmise that your meaning is that you have no pleasant memories associated with your troubles with alcohol similar to those which you have of your military service. Yet, now speaking for myself, I have many wonderful memories of the struggle for sobriety which resulted from my alcoholism, the comrades who helped me along the way, the people I met, from all walks of life, united by a common bond, addiction. Many of us recovered and we did it together. I owe my life to them. I shall never forget them. It was a struggle, a war. I was slowly killing myself and losing my soul. I sense that alcoholism is part of the disabilities which you have suffered from your service. There is one difference. Complete recovery from alcoholism is possible. I know because I have seen those who have come back to sobriety. You can do this. You deserve it. You particularly for what you have done for this country. For having been in harm's way. You have my best wishes, my prayers and my hopes that the world becomes a better one for you because, above all, you deserve it.

W.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scott76:
One further suggestion occurs to me. Perhaps your recovery from alcoholism (another battle to fight!) might be helped if you are able to join a group of others in recovery (AA or otherwise) who, like you, have a military background and who may have become alcoholic due to their other service connected disabilities. It would seem that you would have two things in common: your previous service in the military and your troubles with alcohol. Recovering from alcohol may be a little like war in this respect: Sometimes it's better not to try going it alone. It helps to have buddies. I would think that you might have plenty of them with issues similar to yours. Good luck.

W.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I surmise that your meaning is that you have no pleasant memories associated with your troubles with alcohol similar to those which you have of your military service.

Yes, that is what I meant by that. From your experiences with getting sober, it fills me with more hope when you say you have made friends through a common bond in your recovery. I do find it difficult to be sociable and make friends, and I come across as too opinionated and flippant to some people. It took me a long time to decide to post on here instead of just reading everything else. Luckily some other ex-servicemen have contacted me on here and its good to finally talk about it all instead of letting it eat me from the inside. Thanks for the message
Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scott76: Yes, do contact some ex servicemen who have disabilities similar to yours. It is my experience that contacting others in recovery from alcoholism helps a lot and improves one's chances of sobriety. In a way I would think that recovery in your case might be helped by the likelihood that you had a reason to drink, namely the stresses you were under. Maybe that makes it easier to deal with. But maybe not. Talk it over with your buddies. Good luck.

W.