Notices

Alcohol & Aging

Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol & Aging

Well, I am 32 days sober today, and very happy about it. I have no desire to drink, and the cravings are few and far between. I wish I had done it sooner.

My life hasn't changed dramatically, but I didn't expect it too since I wasn't a daily drinker, more like a twice a week binge drinker (which is bad enough).

Anyway, to those that are on the fence about quitting, Do it NOW, not later. Although I do feel better physically & mentally, I am just devastated to realize that my skin has aged 10 years in 2. (I'm in my 40's). I know there are Many reasons for quitting but this sure is a big one, who wants to look old before their time. I drank for about 10 years, at times very heavily.
Anybody have this experience, and did being sober for a good amount of time erase a few years?? I've been more active and I'm eating better, but I could just cry when I look in the mirror and see the damage I did to myself.

Happy Sober Sunday everybody.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know if I look better sober, but I do know that I feel much better, and that's reason enough for me.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 32 Days!!

After a couple months Sober, my face definitely looks a bit fresher, constant dark rings under my eyes have disappeared, and with drinking a lot more water my skin is probably more hydrated than it ever has been in the last 5yrs!! . . . as to wrinkles, they'll serve to remind me of that period in my life consumed by alcohol
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jessie,
I am 38 and have smoked and drank heavily for about 15 years. As you can expect my skin was dry, wrinkly and my teeth were a nice shade of deep yellow/ purple due to 20 a day cigs plus bottle of red wine. I have been sober 3 months and quit smoking at the same time. My face looks completely different. I didn't realise how puffy and bloated I looked. The redness around my cheeks has gone, the lines are softer and some deep lines have completely disappeared. I worked hard on my teeth by investing in an electric toothbrush and being diligent with brushing, something I never bothered with when blackout drunk. My teeth look like anyone else's my age and this is huge for me as I was too embarrassed to smile. Some people might think that your appearance is the last thing you should worry about when recovering but my aging looks really bothered me. Trust me, you will look better the longer you do not drink.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jessie I was in my 50's when I quit drinking. At that time my skin was dry, puffy, very pale - plenty of 'gin blossoms' too on nose & cheeks. After a few months things began to improve - and I don't think I did permanent damage. I was getting sober for other reasons, but looking better was a great added benefit.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Don't worry, your skin will plump up again. I looked about 100 years old just before I stopped. Get some nice rejuvinating creams with the money you save on alcohol. x
Old 01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody
There are tons of benefits to getting sober. I guess I just feel better when I look good, lol, it affects my entire mood some days!

Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to see a difference. I was starting to get those little broken capillaries too, yuck. Alcohol can really age us, that's for sure.
Maybe I Will get some new anti aging creams with the money I've saved, ha ha, good idea.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My hypercritical mom saw me this weekend. This is after my being 4 months sober. She was shocked by the change in my appearance and told me I looked at least 10 years younger. Believe me, this woman does not give praise easy. So the answer to your question is yes, and it's great! I told myself not to expect too much to soon because it sure took me a long time to get in the state I was by drinking. That is still my philosophy, but nice to get some positive affirmation from my biggest critic! So just keep on keeping on and you won't be sorry!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I must admit to a little vanity, too. My eyes are brighter, whiter after only 6 days. My face is not so ruddy. I hope to lose some of the weight that alcohol put on. My under eye bags are fading.

The best beauty feature may be one I can't see. Hoping my liver, intestines and pancreas are smiling and soon in the pink.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It was feeling old on the inside that was the most troubling to me. The hollow feeing after a night of binging.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The physical and mental health benefits of sobriety are by far the most important. Also it's important to me to be present in my life and to stop racking up so many unnecessary regrets. Looking better and being complimented is just the icing on the cake (but sure is nice, this sobriety is hard work!).
Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually, to me, my appearance is very important now. It never mattered before, but it does now. I would go days without brushing my hair or even getting dressed. I'm on day 7 of sobriety now. When I look in the mirror, it is a constant reminder of the abuse I put my body through. I have gained 75 lbs in 10 years, deep black circles and puffiness around my eyes, and a bright red face ALL as a direct result from my drinking. I looked strung out, and I still do, but at lest the redness is almost gone. I'm looking forward to looking HEALTHY.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jayelle113 View Post
Actually, to me, my appearance is very important now. It never mattered before, but it does now. I would go days without brushing my hair or even getting dressed. I'm on day 7 of sobriety now. When I look in the mirror, it is a constant reminder of the abuse I put my body through. I have gained 75 lbs in 10 years, deep black circles and puffiness around my eyes, and a bright red face ALL as a direct result from my drinking. I looked strung out, and I still do, but at lest the redness is almost gone. I'm looking forward to looking HEALTHY.

This is like me, except I would do minimal to go to work. But like others, didn't brush my teeth at night, didn't floss, didn't take any makeup off. sometimes fell asleep in my clothes. Gained a significant amount of weight and couldn't be bothered toward the end to work out because I knew it was working out or drinking. I knew that the drinking would negate the working out and I picked the bottle. I don't know if it aged me. I'm in my late thirties but I still get carded because you have to be under 40 to be carded here. I think I look pretty young but those last few months are when the damage caught up almost overnight. It was so fast I didn't even notice it. Suddenly I had bags or white circles-something I'm trying to figure out, they may actually be just bags that I'm seeing as white circles-popped up on my face. I'm pretty vain, I'll admit. I used to be attractive and get hit on. That has not happened in the last two years with the exception of the 2 or 3 times I put a lot of effort into myself. I'm only on day nine, but I'm eagerly watching for some changed. I definitely had the puffed up face but I'm not sure of the redness. I'm pretty pale so maybe I did. I think just the weight coming off as it is now is going to make a big difference in how I look. I was pretty camera shy over the last two years. But one of my friends made me take a group shot. It just screams alcoholic. My swollen face is out of control. And I thought I looked good that night. Yuck.

I am vain enough to invest in some teeth whitening strips.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I look quite a bit older than I am. I call it the Keith Richards syndrome. I've aged as badly as he has, and for the same reasons!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by OldRocker View Post
Yes, I look quite a bit older than I am. I call it the Keith Richards syndrome. I've aged as badly as he has, and for the same reasons!
Yes, but with your charm, I'm sure you can get away with it x
Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

As does prolonged or major depression, alcoholism accelerates the aging process. And the longer we drink, the worse things become.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Last week I turned in my photo ID on the last day of work at my old job . . . The photo was only taken four years ago, and I look so much healthier in the photo than I do now. Before I handed it over to my boss I just stared at the ID, marveling at how visibly damaged I am from years of heavy drinking.

I hated that job, and the stress caused by the job (along with my inability to handle the stress) was a significant reason why I drank so heavily the past few years.

Anyway, good for everyone who is feeling better, and looking better/healthier is an added bonus. I'm certainly hoping for both . . . .
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The puffiness, the blotchiness, the sweating, the weight, the foul temper, the lack of grooming, that's the reality and it ain't pretty. It feels good to have one chin and a neck again', that's all I'm saying
Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
The puffiness, the blotchiness, the sweating, the weight, the foul temper, the lack of grooming, that's the reality and it ain't pretty. It feels good to have one chin and a neck again', that's all I'm saying
Oh my goodness the bloating! I nearly forgot about that. My fingers used to look like fat, sweaty sausages and it hurt to bend them. Ankles were swelling to at the end of my drinking and always had dry, flaky skin around my nose. All of these things have gone.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Vanity is one of the things that keeps me sober! You will see changes in the next few months. Just keep at it. As I went through PAWS, for some reason those symptoms effected me for a long time, my skin/face got worse before it got better. But the reason was the toxins were trying to escape any way they could. I am at 9 months sober, went down almost 8 dress sizes/only 20 pounds but lots of inches, I'm 30 years old but get mistaken for a college student all the time. My energy has finally shot through the roof and with the sugar cravings subsiding, I now eat really well. Just push through the first few months and things will continue to look up for you.