Notices

Sober and realising job is crap

Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober and realising job is crap

Very early days but with every day of sobriety I am seeing the crap hole of a job I am working in. No prospects for advancement and no way out.

I must have been muddling through for years! I have changed my attitude at work and am really trying to be positive but it might take years to unwind the position I find myself in if ever.

all the time I'm getting rusty skills and further away from what I trained for.

Help advice please!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay sober! That way you will be able to work towards getting or creating a job that truly satisfies you.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most jobs are crap, sober or not.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay sober, start job searching, maybe start taking a night class. I'm back in school and its pretty cool. My geology class is 6-9 pm, and it's actually pretty fun! You can improve but it will take effort finding something new. Being sober is key, and makes you a more desirable employee.
-Ted
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that as well to be honest. Hold fire though before you make any decisions. Early on I was just really dissatisfied with everything and some of my issues with my work did subside. But a lot were still there so I started doing some volunteer work to learn new skills and get some experience in other areas. I am still in my same job but I feel better knowing that I am doing something which would help me if I ever leave x
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Unless you are hired by another company, stick with where you are.

Search and interview, but make sure you have a job, it's really tough out there!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd start looking for a new job, but hang onto your old one, crap or not, until you have a new one.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finnie,
it's one of the things that happened to me, too: with being sober came a better view of quite a few circumstances and relationships that weren't really satisfactory to me, and hadn't been for years.
i basically let that all sit for a while until the sobriety was more solid, and until i was fairly sure i wouldn't throw babies out with bathwaters.

no need to make big decision right now, yes?
and there's lots of value in learning how to deal with/what to do with dissatisfaction until you can change something.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Finnie, is the subject area of your job something that you you are interested in? I know that choosing jobs is a very complex issue and we all have individualistic approaches. I've found that I really need to have a strong personal, subjective interest in what I'm doing as a job. I won't do it otherwise. So my suggestion is to look for something that interests you! Pay, positions, conventional advancement are important, but motivation in my experience is best to have from within...
Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was in that same spot. "Woke up" to find myself stuck in a lame job not using the skills I had received in my education. After a few months of being sober, I started to realize this. What I did was I decided to go back to school and get more of an education in a completely different direction, one that would be more challenging and earn a lot more money! I am now coming to the end of this change, being in my last semester of school. BTW, I am 38 years old now, so this was not an easy task.

I'm not saying that you need to go to school, just trying to give you hope that there may be other opportunities out there, but you are right... it may take quite a while to overcome the position you are in. I am still in the process of that very thing. Hang in there!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you ready to pour yourself into a new job that challenges your abilities? I think your chances of success increase a lot the fewer other changes you can make in your life.