Notices

Husband worried I will slip

Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband worried I will slip

My husband is going out of town for 3 days for work. He says to me last night that he is worried I am going to slip while he is gone. I guess thinking since I will be alone for all that time and no one but me would know. I assured him I would not be drinking. Can't wait to prove him wrong! What are some things you guys do instead of drinking when you are alone? My husband's job takes him away and leaves me with a lot of solo time. I can only clean so much house, lol. Just want some ideas of sober living activities to occupy my time and thoughts.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to a Movie,
Go to the Gym,
Make food - Lots to freeze for future consumption
Go shopping
Read
Write in Journal
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You'll show him! Ive been alone a bit too during these past couple of weeks, I watch films that make you think, stuff like memento. Also, I ate some comfort food And exercising so I feel tired enough to go to bed early (a bath/shower straight after really helps this).

And of course logging in here alot helps loads too.

Good luck, but you dont need luck because you've got control now and will do this x
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't have a husband but my son is leaving for university tomorrow. I keep myself busy anyway, pretty much. I would suggest, reading, writing, watching films (upbeat stuff is my favourite, like comedy) cleaning, (boring I know) walking. Oh and cooking. I sometimes fall into the trap of not bothering, what with being on my own, but I bought a little book of recipes for one. Or how about eveing classes? Prove to him there is nothing to worry about and soon enough he will have faith in you again. It's understanble for him to worry xxxxxxx
Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
Go to a Movie,
Go to the Gym,
Make food - Lots to freeze for future consumption
Go shopping
Read
Write in Journal
Oooh that was spooky x
Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to occupy my time and my mind with my dogs. Walking them, petting them, playing with them. It was good for all of us.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am right there with you. My husband travels A LOT for work. Nights are the hardest for me when he is away. I recently took up crocheting and I will tell you, it is a great distraction.

You can do this, I believe in you!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
I am right there with you. My husband travels A LOT for work. Nights are the hardest for me when he is away. I recently took up crocheting and I will tell you, it is a great distraction.

You can do this, I believe in you!
Everything I ever tried to crochet always turned into a hat x
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haha, yes I have not been very good at crochet in my life so far. But then again, I haven't tried since I was 18-19.

I work full time, so days aren't usually an issue for me. It's evening after evening of spending time alone that gets to me after awhile. Cooking sounds like a great idea for this next few days. I think I will find a new recipe and give it a try.

My birthday is Saturday. Husband will be home to take me on a date for that, very excited. I haven't had a sober birthday, let alone a sober date, in as long as I can remember.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

are you an AA?

if so - maybe a couple meetings.

Also - I've found that having and communicating a plan can really help reassure those close to us who have been hurt by our addiction in the past.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was sober almost 6 months the first time I had to face what you are facing, a spouse leaving on a trip. Three seconds after my wife told me she was going up to PA to see her son at college, I thought, "Yipee, I can drink." That's the addict mind, sneaky, and I felt about 12 years old.

Came to SR and posted my concerns. Someone wisely pointed out that if I had wanted to drink, I had months and months to do so, wife gone or not, and I hadn't.

And I didn't when she left.

Neither will you if you don't want to.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I get quiet evenings I love to make some tea and get a really yummy dinner that I'd normally not eat. Crank up your favorite music and look at old pictures. It's a great way to reconnect with yourself and have a few solo laughs.

You can do this!