Notices

ooh what a Nyquil high!!! UUGGHH

Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ooh what a Nyquil high!!! UUGGHH

I have been sick just like many of us with this awful flu/cold/fever ick this winter. I have Nyquil without alcohol and some with. I am not and was not ever planning on taking the zzzquil or A nyquil. Well, I was so sick in bed last night that I had cough attack that woke up whole house. My son got up immediately and brought me cough syrup and Chloraseptic. He only poured liquid amount into .8 ml size that I use for my 4 year old. I took it and within seconds realized it was zzquil. Holy cow.That shocked my entire system. I could not go back to sleep. I told my family and they made sure I was ok before they went back to bed. I stayed up and watched movies. I went to fridge and saw zzquil bottle. That voice sure was convincing, but I dumped it down sink. I was shaking all over just from a child size dose. But I realized it and stopped. I could have downed the bottle as well as knowing that my husband had band practice last night down in barn..I knew a few beers would be scrounging around. BUT I didn't. I even did yoga stretches and attempted to meditate. Now I know I am
1 beer=too much...1000 beers is not enough. Good realization for today. Each day I am learning more about myself than ever.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you did the right thing kflee
Hope you feel better soon

D
Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had a similar experience with another cough/cold medicine years ago. I'm happy you reacted the way you did kflee. Well done.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

zzzquil contains diphenhydramine, which is the same thing as benadryl. I've taken it for allergies since I was a kid and it makes me drowsy.

Do you know why it has the opposite reaction for you?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Duh on me..thanks to point that out

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
zzzquil contains diphenhydramine, which is the same thing as benadryl. I've taken it for allergies since I was a kid and it makes me drowsy.

Do you know why it has the opposite reaction for you?
It was nighttime Nyquil not Zzzquil. I just looked at empty bottle. So it contains 10% alcohol for nighttime, but daytime is alcohol free. It was dark so I did not notice the color, since daytime Dayquil is orange. I thought they took alcohol out of Nyquil when they started to regulate children's medications. But I assumed my son was giving me my daughters Mucinex. I think I am safe with Diphenhydramine. If it was the zzquil, I would listen to your post and go to doctor to see if allergic.
I am so proud I poured cough syrup down the sink. These are the things I cannot express to my in-laws yet. They are judgmental and would not understand. They are all functioning alcoholics...haha...really functioning alcoholics? I don't see it that way when every family gathering fights and mean words are said..as well as stress confusion and anxiety. My husband is only one who sees it. He is no longer drinking since I stopped. He drank on occasion, but said he admires what I am doing as well as resentment towards his parents.I need to put another post for how to deal with in-laws and how they think quitting drinking is ridiculous. Long line of irish, Czech, polish, and Dutch Pennsylvanian..the combo makes the whole family, and I mean 20 family members that drink. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job, kflee!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ah, that makes sense. Glad you got rid of the stuff. My dad's family is 100% Polish. They're not big drinkers, but I know all about judgment. Hahahah.

I hope you feel better soon!