Notices

Wally P Back to the basics

Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wally P Back to the basics

Is this program the same as the big book? I have heard of it, but what's the difference between this and working out of the big book?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have refs through this particular take on the steps. I don't have any experience working the program that way. It is similar to the big book but not identical. I favor the big book.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never heard of it before, sorry.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I've worked the steps quickly, within 2 days, for relief. Similar to Back to Basics. Like the oldtimer's did. I did work the 4th step as stated in the big book. That was on days 14 & 15.

I haven't had a craving, obsession, nor desire to drink or use since day 16.

Fearless and thorough the first time through the steps, as best as possible. I did work those steps 3 more times by 18 months of sobriety.

Those steps work if you work them into your life.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-seminars.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-basics.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-basics.html
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Several years ago, about 11 or so, I was introduced to this particular approach and Wally P's book entitled Back to Basics. I was involved for almost 3 years in a Sunday night meeting entitled "Back to Basic" where we used this book and the Big Book. The format is simply a guided reference of readings by chapter and paragraph from the Big Book. It is a concentrated series of 4 one hour meetings that takes a new comer through the steps with the supporting Big Book readings for each step.

There is a format that can be used to formulate a 4th step as well as a series of discussion points about each step. The group that I was involved with functioned like any other AA group with a GSR and Secretary. The primary purpose of this group was to make available a meeting where those who had an interest in taking the steps but didn't know where to begin could have a structured approach. This could include, if a person desired the availability of sponsors to work with the new comer and then after the individual had taken the steps either retaining this sponsor or finding one that he or she felt more comfortable with.

We had a great many folks with years of sobriety that participated and served as sponsors to these new people and I saw many of the new comers continue to attend after they had taken the steps and sponsor someone themselves.

It was one way of taking the steps in a structured environment, but the material used was from the Big Book and the "script" for meetings was very specific about the program of AA coming from the BB and the first 164 pages. The suggested 4th step format was one of several types I have seen over the years and the BB format is suggested as well.

My opinion, and that is all it is, is that this seemed to get people on the road to taking the steps and made the acquisition of a sponsor easier that finding someone on their own for many people who attended. The book by Wally P is more of a script for using the Big Book than a book in and of itself. We had several "old timers" who sat in on meetings expressing a healthy skepticism about the rapidity with which the steps were addressed, and most of these folks ended up staying with the meeting and volunteering to be a sponsor to new folks as they took the steps.

I still see and interact with a great many sober members of AA, some celebrating as many as 10 years of sobriety who started AA in Back to Basics, there are of course many more who aren't sober who attended as well. I feel it was true to AA and all our principals and has a place for those that find it works for them. Recently I ran into a lady who was involved along with myself who carried the format to Upstate New York and started several Back to Basic meetings in her area which she said are enjoying very good attendance.

I am not trying to sell this as the only way or even the best, but I did enjoy my association with the group and having served as a GSR many times as well as a DCM for our district and a delegate to several Area conferences I never felt that Wally P and his script deviated from AA and the Big Book.

This is probably more information than anyone wanted, but when I saw the topic I felt that since I had been involved with the format I would share my experience.

Jon N
Upland, California
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

who the heck is wally p.?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
Several years ago, about 11 or so, I was introduced to this particular approach and Wally P's book entitled Back to Basics. I was involved for almost 3 years in a Sunday night meeting entitled "Back to Basic" where we used this book and the Big Book. The format is simply a guided reference of readings by chapter and paragraph from the Big Book. It is a concentrated series of 4 one hour meetings that takes a new comer through the steps with the supporting Big Book readings for each step.

There is a format that can be used to formulate a 4th step as well as a series of discussion points about each step. The group that I was involved with functioned like any other AA group with a GSR and Secretary. The primary purpose of this group was to make available a meeting where those who had an interest in taking the steps but didn't know where to begin could have a structured approach. This could include, if a person desired the availability of sponsors to work with the new comer and then after the individual had taken the steps either retaining this sponsor or finding one that he or she felt more comfortable with.

We had a great many folks with years of sobriety that participated and served as sponsors to these new people and I saw many of the new comers continue to attend after they had taken the steps and sponsor someone themselves.

It was one way of taking the steps in a structured environment, but the material used was from the Big Book and the "script" for meetings was very specific about the program of AA coming from the BB and the first 164 pages. The suggested 4th step format was one of several types I have seen over the years and the BB format is suggested as well.

My opinion, and that is all it is, is that this seemed to get people on the road to taking the steps and made the acquisition of a sponsor easier that finding someone on their own for many people who attended. The book by Wally P is more of a script for using the Big Book than a book in and of itself. We had several "old timers" who sat in on meetings expressing a healthy skepticism about the rapidity with which the steps were addressed, and most of these folks ended up staying with the meeting and volunteering to be a sponsor to new folks as they took the steps.

I still see and interact with a great many sober members of AA, some celebrating as many as 10 years of sobriety who started AA in Back to Basics, there are of course many more who aren't sober who attended as well. I feel it was true to AA and all our principals and has a place for those that find it works for them. Recently I ran into a lady who was involved along with myself who carried the format to Upstate New York and started several Back to Basic meetings in her area which she said are enjoying very good attendance.

I am not trying to sell this as the only way or even the best, but I did enjoy my association with the group and having served as a GSR many times as well as a DCM for our district and a delegate to several Area conferences I never felt that Wally P and his script deviated from AA and the Big Book.

This is probably more information than anyone wanted, but when I saw the topic I felt that since I had been involved with the format I would share my experience.

Jon N
Upland, California
I worked the steps the first time and the desire to drink was lifted, I didn't do the steps that thoroughly because my mind was fogged. Then another year down the road, my head cleared up and I did the steps again, and felt better. I live in 10,11,12. now my sobriety took off.

I have read a few articles about back to basics, and think it is a good tool to use for anyone working the steps for the first time. anyone can always do the steps again.

The fourth step is a very confusing step when you see so many different formats, but I think its less about format than content. Also collecting your character defects through the steps was difficult. I am ordering this book I hope it will help me and others.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Frankie,

here is a link to this Wally P site. I just Googled it. Hopefully it will provide some answers.

http://www.aabacktobasics.org/wallybio.html

Jon
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I would just echo what Jfanagle said. Wally P's book, which is essentially research on how the original beginner's meetings ran in AA prior to publication of the 12 and 12, has in my experience, been a very useful tool in helping newcomers with the steps. The format is simple and straight forward and takes a lot of the fear and mystery out of the steps.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I would just echo what Jfanagle said. Wally P's book, which is essentially research on how the original beginner's meetings ran in AA prior to publication of the 12 and 12, has in my experience, been a very useful tool in helping newcomers with the steps. The format is simple and straight forward and takes a lot of the fear and mystery out of the steps.
thanks, I think step 4, and 5 for me was the most confusing until I did it. But there are tons of 4th steps sheets, and people say the 5th step is not confession, I think it's to find our character defects. I got the wally p. back to basics book and can wait to read it.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It looks like Wally has a nice little business going.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i personally am fond of the approach idea - but mostly because i think sometimes sponsors and people have a tendency of making it harder and longer process than it needs to be ...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
It looks like Wally has a nice little business going.
Wally donates all the profit to charity.