Notices

Big Book Quote 12/31/13

Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Big Book Quote 12/31/13

"Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kill us! God makes that possible. And there often seems no way of entirely getting rid of self without His aid. Many of us had moral and philosophical convictions galore, but we could not live up to them even though we would have liked to. Neither could we reduce our self-centeredness much by wishing or trying on our own power. We had to have God’s help."

How It Works
Old 12-31-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Selfishness and dishonesty seem to be at the very core of me.

I had plans to go into London today with my kids...I was looking forward to it. Just going out the door, when I get a text from my sister...she has a leak and no heating or hot water, she has 2 little ones, can she come over... My default position of selfishness and dishonesty almost won...it was on the tip of my tongue to lie and say I had already left. Aargh...

I didn't. I cancelled the trip. Told her she can stay as long as she wants. But it was there...

I am so aware of my actions now and can usually catch myself acting in ways which now I'm ashamed of. Many defects of character to address yet...