Notices

Just getting through it

Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just getting through it

Xmas has been harder this year. I am glad to not be drinking but it sure would be a relief to just get drunk/stoned and fill my mind with daydreams. But xmas will pass just like everything else, I just have to let the negative feelings pass. I daydreamed for way too many years, and I know what results that gives me.

I am doing ok, hanging on as best I can. This post is for those having issues this christmas. You are not alone in this. Big hug for those like me struggling this time of year, it will get better, just hang on with me during this time.

Spring is just around the corner Well, unless you have a summer christmas, then we will talk about the cold to you during our summer

Best wishes for everyone, stay strong.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Big hugs to you Mikie !

Thanks for posting this - I can definitely relate. It's been a tough holiday season so far for me but I keep saying to myself "every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better". Next year should be an amazing one! Even this one, as boring as it seems, I'm so grateful to be sober that its truly the greatest gift I could give myself and to my loved ones.

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good on you Mikie! As you told us that it gets better and to hang on with you, I'd like to tell you to hang in there because after a few years it is not a struggle so much as not being foolish enough to think you can drink moderately again. That is how long term sobriety can be undone. I don't care about drinking. My memories of it aren't good times, just sick and shaking. It didn't help me relax from anything. The edge was withdrawals then PAWS. There was no edge removal. The edge was being restored to full strength to make it impossible to break free again.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do whatever you have to do! Watch cat vids on Youtube, just don't drink!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am having a tough time today too. I forgot how difficult it can be to deal with drunk belligerent relatives and not be able to have my own space or fall asleep in my own bed at the time of my choosing. Sometimes Christmas can be lousy and excessive. I am really uncomfortable right now... but at least I am not drunk.

We can all get thru this, one hour at a time.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be a tough day - but it is just one day.
Stay strong Mikie - you got this

D
Old 12-25-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I not only made it through Christmas day, but I actually enjoyed myself and feel very close to mom and sister, more so than in the years past when I was just playing a role and trying to get home to start drinking. they don't drink at all, dad was the only one whoever had a problem drinking and understood me in that place.

It was a good day and was worth some of the struggles I have been going through and has been the first time I have felt what living a "normal" life is like.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear it

D
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Mikie. Many of us new to sobriety are trudging along for sure. Your post rings so true. I'm happy that things worked out for the better.
Again, merry christmas
Onward!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's just fantastic Mikie!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I have always hid from them, because like I said they don't drink at all. But this evening it was like I was me again before I ever took a drink. I sure wish dad could see me now

It has given me strength and I will be spending more time with them... which is number 2 on my list of why I wanted this change. It's just so nice when a reason you want to go through this change starts to happen. It seems to take so long.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done Mikie x