Notices

Relapse and bipolar II

Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Relapse and bipolar II

Hi guys, I slipped back into drinking, and I've just been diagnosed bipolar II, which I guess explains some things. I don't feel like I have control over my life and myself. I can't seem to stick to any sobriety plan because my mind keeps changing. I feel like I am very vulnerable right now to letting the booze push me around. It tells me it is the only one who can help me feel better, and sometimes I believe it. I am going to check out the mental health board too, but I just wanted to check in here too. Hi.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Briar! Co-concurring mental illness is very common with alcohol abuse. Your brain chemistry is seeking balance and alcohol seems to be a go to for many reasons.

I know people with bi-polar who self medicate with alcohol and illegal drugs. I'm afraid they are not as enlightened as you. Armed with information and acceptance of your conditions you have a wonderful chance of success.

Addressing the bi-polar with professional help and possibly medication may help to address your substance issues as well. I applaud you for your self awareness and for wanting to fight for your life.

You are worth it and there are ways to quiet your mind other than alcohol. Talk to a professional about how.

Best of luck to you - I wish you peace and courage!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm bipolar, too. And self-medicated for many years. Once I found the proper meds, I was able to stop drinking.
I know how you feel. I drank to feel normal. The way I thought everyone else felt. Unfortunately, that lead to a serious drinking problem.
I know the depths of depression that go along with bipolar, which led me to drink. And the mania and hypomania which also made me drink. It was a viscious cycle.

I wish you the best in getting treatment. It really does help, in fact, it saved my life.

Best to you.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Bi-polar and sober going on nearly two years. It made for a rough start, but it is doable, many sober bi-polars here.

I look forward to seeing you on the mental health forums.