Notices

Harm from Alcoholism. Another day 1 of sobriety

Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Harm from Alcoholism. Another day 1 of sobriety

So, I have been trying to get my health right every since I got sober. I had like seven days sober, so I thought it was time to get a gp doc and see how bad alcohol screwed my body up.

I got blood work done.

I'm obese. I have high Cholesterol. I have high blood pressure. I have elevated liver enzymes. I'm 26. That's young to have that much bad stuff happen to you.

So what did I do after getting terrified when the doctor did an EKG on me? I went straight to the liquor store. And after getting my labs back the next day, I got terrified. You see where this is going. A binge.

So again, I start at day 1 (today) with even worse withdrawal symptoms than the last time. (kindling effect)

I'm experiencing severe anxiety, sweats, heart palpitations, and mild confusion. What makes things worse, is that I now have somewhat of a tolerance on the detox pill they gave me. (librium)

I'm heading down a road where inpatient treatment will be the only way I will be able to safely detox at home. This is it.

I thought I had planned for all the typical triggers associated with alcohol cravings, but apparently I missed one: Being Terrified.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fear is a big one, for sure.

If you're worried about your weight tho there's a lot you can do - I don't believe it's ever too late to start living right

At 26 you have every chance of none of this damage being permanent - if you act now.

alcohol just helps you to gain weight - it's all sitting around and empty calories.

Talk with your Dr about your fears Justin - see what they suggest

D
Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74. I have ALL of the right tools as far as knowledge about exercise and weight control/diet. I just have to act. You nailed it.

I'm acting tonight, and I hope I can do this safely one more time.