Son trying to restart recovery

Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Son trying to restart recovery

My AS is trying to restart his recovery by checking himself into detox today. I've been trying to stay on my side of the street for the last couple of weeks. I hope I can stay strong and not get all caught up in this. It's so hard.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is wonderful news. It is the hardest thing to experience our children's addiction and the choices they make. Just know he is making the choice HIMSELF and that is positive. Hugs and prayers for you and your family. Even now with JJ back in my life, I live each day knowing I cannot cure, control and didn't cause it. I also know that my codependent actions can drive irritation and unrest. I let him go sometimes hour by hour knowing I am dealing with MY addiciton to him.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the best news I've heard in weeks!! I'm so glad he has recognized this is something he needs to do! I needed to hear this today. What a gift! Massive hug, a couple of cartwheels and some major high five headed your way! maybe not the cartwheels....I'm not as young as I used to be!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AD also checked herself into detox today. I'm praying that both your son and my D get through it okay and can keep moving in a positive direction.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

EJG, good news for you as well! I will keep both young adults in my prayers and special prayers for both you mommas! I hope I have good news to share with this group someday. It really does lift us up.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear about both of these hopeful events. We as parents want recovery for our kids, and it is so sad when they don't want it. It is such good news when they take positive steps.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is good news - why do you have a "thumbs down" on your thread? I know it cant be easy to deal with as a mom.... but it sounds like he is doing the right thing by detoxing. We were told if a relapse happens it can strengthen recovery - its all in how it is handled. Prayers being sent up ...he keeps making good choices, and some peace for his mom & dad too.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Allforcnm- I don't know how I did that with the thumbs down. It was a mistake. I'm happy he made the choice. It was actual a buddy from the sober house he lived at and a friend from the rooms who took him when he reached out to them.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allthatsgood View Post
Allforcnm- I don't know how I did that with the thumbs down. It was a mistake. I'm happy he made the choice. It was actual a buddy from the sober house he lived at and a friend from the rooms who took him when he reached out to them.
I figured it wasn't really meant to be a thumbs down. lol

I don't know about your sons recovery work in the past, but with my husband his doctors helped him work up a plan in case of relapse. There are certain steps he knows to take, and people and resources he knows will be available to him. It was brave of your son to reach out to his friends from the past; Im sure it wasn't easy for him. I think definitely a big thumbs up !