Notices

Quit Drinking, Feeling...a whole Lot of Nothing

Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Drinking, Feeling...a whole Lot of Nothing

Hi everyone. I've been drinking heavily every night for the passed four years. Two 750ml bottles of 9% beer each night. I cut down during the week because of work, about four months ago. Otherwise I drank both bottles anyways, which made waking up torture. But cutting down is better than nothing.
I believe there's a difference between being an alcoholic and having a drinking problem, I've always been able to control myself and never bothered anyone. In fact I always drink alone. But it's severely hurting my health, and I lost drawing as a hobby ever since I started, which is what makes me sad the most.
So I just quit cold turkey about a week ago, and I was afraid of alcohol withdrawal, although physically, nothing seems to have happened much, besides being cold often and getting the sweats. Nothing I can't live with; frankly, I felt much worse every morning while getting up than I have this week. I'm male, and 31 years old. I can't sleep much either, but this has been a problem for me long before I ever started drinking. (which is at least one thing drinking was good for, in a way)

But now it's been a week, and what I do feel is complete and utter boredom. No motivation, everything bores me. My video games just tick me off, I feel like everyone is conspiring against me for some reason, despite the evidence to the contrary. I tried drawing again, I have no interest. While drinking I did everything with gusto because I was looking forward to drinking. Now that there is no drink, everything seems pointless, boring and annoying. Is this normal? How long does it last, and what can I do? I just want to go out there and get some beer, but I'll dig myself an early grave if I keep this up. I don't feel so depressed that I want to die, but there's nothing to look forward to or enjoy.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on a a week!

I think it varies person to person. It was explained to me that this is normal as the brain chemistry is readjusting to the absence of alcohol. This readjustment will take place but not overnight. I know the feeling though. Initially I spent time a lot of videos on YouTube, ones that would give me some laughs. Maybe keep trying new things as well, activities you may have wanted to do but never got around to or your use got in the way of? The feelings of pleasure should return, so "this too shall pass" as they say.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Viking

Most of us come into this with somewhat unrealistic expectations I think.

After 20 years of drinking I expected to feel great in a week and never look back. It took a little longer for my mind and body to repair two decades of damage.

took me a while to work out how to live sober too - I was used to the instant gratification of drinking - having to work and wait for the results was a little hard to handle for me. patience was not my forte lol.

I'm glad I persevered tho - I hope you will too - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of what I read on alcohol withdrawal didn't really mention anything emotional or psychological, just a lot of physical stuff.
Been messing around on here a bit reading some people's stories, a lot have, or have had, way worse than me. It's hard finding will power to keep this up when everything sucks when you quit though. I did figure this was temporary of course. But as mentioned, the gratification is no longer there, and I'm having trouble finding alternatives. Tried drawing again, this doesn't seem to work. I just keep messing on the internet all night, so I figure why not join a support forum. Do something productive, least.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find support does help.

It made a huge difference to me to know I wasn't alone in this and I was with folks who understood

D
Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Madviking, I had a similar experience, physical symptoms weren't too crazy, and was able to quit cold turkey, am 30yrs old and my heaviest drinking has been over the last 4/5yrs, possibly not long enough for some of the more serious withdrawals.

But your right, without any physical symptoms, it's in the mind that the daily battles are fought, all I can say though is things will start to improve, for the first week I felt like doing nothing but go to work, come home and sleep, but as the 2nd and 3rd week passed I somehow got the motivation to pick up a book to read in the evening or start going to a sports game. Gradually as the body adjusts to not having alcohol the mind gets a bit clearer.

Hang in there!!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Be patient. Better days will come but you may have to make some drastic changes in your lifestyle. Give yourself time. It will get better.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Craving & Relapse 5 of 8 - YouTube
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

The journey continues for a while after sobriety but it definitely gets better x
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

[QUOTE=MadViking;4342357]I believe there's a difference between being an alcoholic and having a drinking problem.../QUOTE]

So which is you?

They say the difference is if you have a drinking problem and you quit, problem solved. If you are an alcoholic and quit, problems just beginning.

You speak of complete and utter boredom. Sounds like dissatisfaction with sobriety. Wise choice to join SR and learn how to deal with it.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

@doggonecarl

Alcoholic. I've heard different definitions, but I've considered myself an alcoholic. One of the definitions I saw was on here, but I can't find it anymore. It said that an alcoholic can't control their drinking, and can't control what they do when drunk. That's what my mom is like. I on the other hand, can control what I do and how much I drink, but I just need to have it every day. Can't control that. I don't know what the proper definition is, I always just figured a drinking problem was pretty much alcoholism. Therefore, I'm an alcoholic, at least until proven otherwise. Lol.

Haha but I messed up, got beer today. I knew I shouldn't have, told myself not to, but I went and did it, anyways. It's always like that with me though; just this one last time. But there never seems to be a last time. It's the same for a lot of alcoholics. Although it has to be said, a week is pretty much a record for me. I do want to stop, but damn everything just sucks so much otherwise haha. Maybe I don't want it enough. I'm not complaining for nothing here, the boredom and being down in the dumps is really crappy to have to go through.

The video posted by Nonsensical was great though. Never heard of this dude before, going to watch some more of his stuff. I hope I can stop long enough to find a reason not to keep drinking. I mean this is the kinda stuff I already know; it sucks now, but will probably get better after quitting. Guess I'm not a patient guy. Thing is, knowing is not the same as experiencing. I wish I was 12 again or something baahaha.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Having a bad day. This too shall pass?

I've had more good days than bad at this point. I've had moments of utter boredom, panic, sadness, etc. but I've also had moments of clarity, confidence and mostly importantly and often HOPE. The good moments outnumbering the bad for the most part.

Today started off okay enough but as afternoon turned to evening and evening to night, I'm just feeling BLAH. I even contemplated taking Nyquil to help me sleep (if you remember my "story" I also kicked xanax and pain pills a few days before I kicked alcohol out of my life). So that scares me a bit. I know it's just medicine, but it represents a "head change" to me. I'm not sick just sick of reality at this point and just want to knock the (expletive) out. I didn't take it. I'm not sick. I'm just bored, lonely, stressed and a bit depressed.

Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a better one.

Goodnight.

(oops meant to post a new thread) (can't figure out how to delete here) (sorry, hope you feel better OP!)
Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, it happens. Lol.

I've had moments of utter boredom, panic, sadness, etc. but I've also had moments of clarity, confidence and mostly importantly and often HOPE. The good moments outnumbering the bad for the most part.
That's the same ship I seem to be in. I felt hope and happiness as well in the passed week, in fact sometimes it was outrageous. Thing is, it doesn't seem to lead anywhere. Like a ghost, it's there and gone.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Originally Posted by MadViking View Post
Well, it happens. Lol.

That's the same ship I seem to be in. I felt hope and happiness as well in the passed week, in fact sometimes it was outrageous. Thing is, it doesn't seem to lead anywhere. Like a ghost, it's there and gone.
YES! That is it, it doesn't seem to lead anywhere BUT I think it's the impatient alcoholic in us asking ourselves why we aren't feeling on top of the world 24/7??
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing is...most of us gave years to our drinking...and each of us perservered through all the bad stuff that came from that.

I wonder why it's so hard to give ourselves to not drinking and a few weeks of readjustment, for the promise of a better life?

Early recovery is rough - but so is the drinking life, and drinking will get worse.

Why not have a little faith that doing something different can bring you different results?

D
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know what different thing to do. Maybe only four years for me, but seems to have been long enough to persuade me that alcohol tops the rest. That's what it feels like, even though I know it's a lie, but as I've observed before, knowing something and feeling it isn't the same. Well I guess at least not in this case. Does that make any sense? Don't really know how to put it.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yoiu must be here for a reason tho - if things were great with your drinking, you'd never consider a place like SR.

I can't make you stop. All I can share with you is that alcoholism is progressive. Things will get worse.

If you're suffering health problems now, you can expect them to multiply the longer you keep drinking.

I drank for so long there were no benefits for me by the end...I ended up hating drinking...but I couldn't stop even then.

I wish I'd quit years before I did - it's a refrain you'll here over and over again here.
You have a chance not to go down the same road I did.

D
Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well done for reaching out to SR, Viking. i'm an alcoholic enjoying sobriety - like others have said, i didn't begin to enjoy it overnight! But perseverance was well worthwhile.

when i was drinking i could enjoy it, or, control it. Never both together though.

i could stop on will power - but could never stay stopped.

when i decided to cease to drink (this became daily) the mental obsession crowded my thoughts, until my will collapsed.

all this despite being aware that my drinking was costing me much more than the monetary fee of a bottle or three - it was costing my health, friends, mental well-being, self-esteem, liberty, dignity, ability to enjoy things i used to love, household management etc etc

any sane person would have said "just stop, then!"

i can only guess i was insane, because i just didn't stop. And i simply continued to fuel my guilt and shame with every bottle.

wish you well, MadViking
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I ended up hating drinking...but I couldn't stop even then.
Well...yeah.

Wtv I guess. I came here to ask about the depression and boredom that happens after quitting, and to talk to like minded people, get some tips and advice, and maybe share em if I got em. I want to stop because it's affecting my health, probably my mental health too, though that is harder to tell. You seem to know what I'm talking about as far as not being able to stop anyway, not sure what else to explain.

@marselles
True, I seem to lose some friends this way, plus my family never seems to talk to me about it, although they know I have this problem, or suspect it, if they're not sure. I thought I was doing good for a week, then I got beer today. Being an alcoholic though, you just feel so isolated and alone, that it's hard not going back to it.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if drinking is as massive a part of your life as it was of mine, there's going to be a period of depression.

It's not that dissimilar to the breakup of a long term relationship - we know it was going nowhere but we still miss the other party.

It is gonna hurt, and maybe even suck for a while, but so did our drinking by the end, right?

at least this way you have support, and you have the promise of some thing better.

I've never regretted giving up drinking., I drank for 20 years, and I've been sober for nearly seven.

Things get a LOT better than those first few weeks Viking...it just takes a little time and and effort to build a sober life...y'know?

D