Notices

2 Weeks Sober...but can I make it through the holidays???

Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Weeks Sober...but can I make it through the holidays???

Hello all,
Well, I'm celebrating my first two weeks without a drink and I'm feeling pretty good but OMG the cravings are intense, especially around now it's gearing up for Christmas party season. I avoided a party Friday night at a local pub, just because I knew it would be too tempting. Any ideas on how to succumb over the next few weeks appreciated!
>DeeDFab
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi DeeDFab.

Posting here is a great way. Are you using any program or method to not drink?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you avoid most of these events this season? I say that because it's very tempting when you're in early recovery to be around people drinking. Either that or go late and leave early and have an escape plan if you feel tempted to drink.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you thought about telling your friends that you are not drinking and that way you won't feel pressured to drink? And constantly have a water or something in your hand? Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm planning to mention it to our friends at an upcoming neighbourhood xmas party and will bring my own ginger ale. I will leave if the cravings get too intense I think. Thx!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm seeing a addiction counsellor weekly at the moment. I will leverage this forum too for support and advice -- it is great!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

You might find some of these tips useful DeeDfab ,

Welcome to SR

Bestwihses, m
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am almost a year sober but this is still my first holiday season sober. Most of the holidays this year i've been trying to enjoy the people and the activities vs sneaking away to drink like I did in the past. I come from a family that drinks a lot and even so I have found that once I concentrate on other things, the focus on drinking was mostly of my creation. No one really cares if I am drinking or not despite what most of us think.

Having said that, you are very early in recovery and I mostly avoided drinking situations for several weeks when I first started out. Sounds like you do have a good plan and counseling as well, just remember your "out" if things get too intense and you have to leave. No shame in just saying that you don't feel well, because it would be the truth!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by DeeDFab View Post
Hello all,
Well, I'm celebrating my first two weeks without a drink and I'm feeling pretty good but OMG the cravings are intense, especially around now it's gearing up for Christmas party season. I avoided a party Friday night at a local pub, just because I knew it would be too tempting. Any ideas on how to succumb over the next few weeks appreciated!
>DeeDFab

There will always be a holiday, a party, something that upsets your daily life, etc. My point is, there is never an "Easy" time to get sober, there will always be some occasion you can blame for wanting to get wasted. I know how it feels, but you need to remind yourself why you are trying to change your life and all the benefits you will get once you are free of this addiction. You can do this......just try and stay busy and away from drama at all costs. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grind it ! 2nd Sober Christmas holidays coming up for me , I am never going back, the thoughts of poisoning myself can go **** themselves , sober is too cool .

"Can" no good.

"Do"

See you in the New Year still sober, you will "do " this.