Notices

First Holiday Function

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Holiday Function

I went to a holiday work function last night where alcohol was free and flowing. I would usually end up pretty drunk at these.

My coworkers know that I am sober and were very protective of me, or so it felt that way. Some people got tipsy but for the most part I noticed that people drank very little if any at all. That is such a breath of fresh air. It was also nice to be focused on the conversations around me instead of the next glass of wine. We ended up being the last to leave because we were having so much fun! This was an unexpected surprise. I also got complimented over and over again on how good I looked which is always a huge boost and encourages me to keep up the good work.

I have another party today for my brother's 40th birthday and then off to a comedy show with my sponsor. After 7 months, I feel as though I can start enjoying my life again. Although sobriety is my number one priority, I can also focus on having a little fun as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's fabulous and I think it's great that you noticed that most people were really not drinking much. I think we allow our minds to tell us that we will look so out of place, when the fact is, we probably looked more out of place when we were drinking a lot.

Congratulations on your recovery and I'm so glad you're having fun.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Thank you for a lovely, positive post, pattyj. I'm sure you will have given many people reassurance that you can enjoy life and have fun without alcohol - and that it tastes pretty good, too
Old 11-24-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go! I went to a wedding last night, first social function sober. A woman at the table was so drunk she tripped and almost fell at the table, she blamed it on her husbands foot sticking out which he denied, and they began to fight. It was truly a new perspective for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh man Iluvdisney. That woman used to be me. I am pretty positive at the moment and like to tell others that you can have a good time sober but I do need a reality check from time to time of where I came from and who I used to be. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad your recovery is going well. Congrats on seven months sober and I'm glad you had a good time and the event.