Having nightmares

Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having nightmares

I have been having nightmares about death lately. Back in middle school I lost a best friend who killed himself while taking cocaine. Then after high school another bestfriend after we parted ways O.D'ed on cocaine and the guy who gave it to her took off after her eyes rolled back and she started foaming at the mouth, left her to die. Then I had another friend who drove herself drunk into a pole on our bridge and left behind her daughter who was two. My neighbors husband last year died of lung cancer and drowned when his lungs filled up with fluid cause thats what happends at the end. Now....One of my bestfriends who I have been friends with four fourteen years just told me last night that he was dying of liver failure from drinking for so many years. He hasn't drank for five years but I guess it's too late. My husband has Hep C so there is always that chance of liver failure with him eventually. The wierd thing is I have been having dreams about death because I can't stop thinking about how it all seems to be following me. My dad hasn't really been in my life at all and last night I had a dream that he had cancer and was dying and no one cared and my four year old son was lying next to him very very sick. I woke up with a headache. Does this happen to people who live with this stuff? Is it my brain trying to deal with it? The one post where the girls little sister died freaked me out because she was so young and my girl best friend drinks so bad and it scares me that she may die soon too. But ever since that post I can NOT quit thinking about the illnesses and how I am so small in this world. Have any of ya'll had nightmares?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your losses.....unfortunately dealing w/death is a part of this life. Sometimes it comes before WE think it should.....I just recently lost someone due to liver failure from drinking...it is tough watching them leave behind families.

We don't know when our time is or anyone elses.....have you heard the new Tim McGraw song? "I hope you get the chance to live like your dying" I am not sure that is the title, but it is close.....it has some great advice.

I have had nightmares different times in my life....usually caused by stress....when my 1st child was born!!! I used to invision me accidentially dropping him or hitting his head on the cabinet or forgetting him. Then I have had the dreams where I am drowning or am shot.....don't really know why....but stress seems to bring mine on. Don't dwell on them too much....then they'll be in the back of your mind when you fall asleep. Maybe some "happy thoughts" before going to bed....a funny show or light hearted book would help. Best of luck and sweet dreams to you!! Constant
Old 06-11-2004, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been having nightmares too. I find that since reading AA literature and going to Alanon meetings this is happening more and more. Not about death though and so sorry to hear about that. I woke up the other night and I was dreaming about being abused back when I was around 7 years old. I got up and wrote it all down. It was still there but somehow it did not seem as bad. I have been trying to stay up later and later so I will be so tired I might not dream. I like constant's suggestion about happy thoughts or humour. Maybe a good joke book before going to bed would help. This morning when my AH woke me up my first words to him were "Do I look like a boy?" He thought that was quite funny and reassured me that I didn't. I think it may have come from my feelings of distrust towards him. Don't know but I am trying to face my dreams head on. Happy thoughts for sweet dreams!!!