Notices

30 Days Today

Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 Days Today

It's a beautiful day, and I am 30 days sober!

My habit for the last several-many years has been to down two bottles of wine a night ... EVERY night. Even when I would wake up and felt like I was crawling out of a deep hole, and swearing I would "take the night off." Even when I would drag myself into work and just barely be able to go through the motions. But by 5:00 p.m. ... EVERY NIGHT ... I'm back in the store with a jug of wine in my cart.

The first two weeks were really, really difficult. I went to an AA meeting almost every night, just to have something to do besides drinking. I am grateful the meetings are there, they are definitely a help, and for sure kept me from drinking on those nights. I am not crazy about all the negativity I hear there; and it's depressing to sit next to someone who has been sober for 20 YEARS and still seems mired in what could have been, or should have been. It works better for me to live in the moment and look forward to what will be. But I will still attend meetings, I just don't need them every night.

I still have moments of strong temptation. It's particulary bad when I am cooking. I am an enthusiastic home cook and enjoy fixing really nice meals for my husband and myself, and family too. It's just not as much FUN without a glass (or three) of wine. And I miss the fun. The crock pot has become my new best friend because if I set it up in the morning, I don't have to be in the kitchen getting THIRSTY.

I am very glad to find this forum. It seems like there is something for everyone and a recognition that one size does not fit all.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome, I can wait to get to 30 days myself
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days! You're an inspiration!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Laura, firstly well done on 30 days that is a great effort. However just beware of your AV. It can have selective memory problems. Whenever you feel you are missing the fun you should revisit the first paragraph of your post. That doesn't seem much fun to me. I don't mean to be dismissive of your general point, I know the first couple can be great fun . The problems come with the last couple! I think an important part of trying to remain sober is to focus on the positives rather than feel we are missing out on something. You seem like a pretty positive sort and I am sure with time you will view the fun time the same as I do, namely the precursor to a pretty rough morning after. Best of luck and keep posting.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Stick with us Laura, and you will be Lucky!

It's helpful to make lots of posts here and visit the site often.

Many of us drink seltzer water to quench the urges, here's some other suggestions: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

Congratulations on 30 days!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome LuckyLaura, congrats on 30 days sober! There is tons of support here. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and congrats on thirty days sober!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Laura, 30 days well done.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and the wishes. And for the warnings, I need those too.

Think I'll hit a meeting tonight and pick up a 30-day chip.

I know it is a long journey, one step at a time, and I know I will have really tough spots. I've got a dream vacation coming up, and drinking to oblivion has always been part of our vacation trips. We have vowed to enjoy early morning sunrises instead. They are much more rewarding.

Funny about the seltzer, we have been drinking so much of that, and also hot tea or hot chocolate in the evenings.

One thing we have both noticed is that we are SUPER tired. Yawning by dinner time and falling asleep by 7:30 or 8:00 most nights. I'm thinking this is part of the normal recovery process and the best thing to do is be kind to ourselves. Someone said at one of my AA meetings to treat your sobriety like a newborn baby.

Has anyone else experienced tremendous sleepiness?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on day 32 and sleeping like a baby. By day 2 of my sobriety of was asleep from about 7pm-6am. Get all of the sleep you can!! Our bodies are healing and they deserve the much needed rest.

Congratulations and great work!!

I am sipping a cup of decaf right now, I ALWAYS have tea or coffee in hand.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OH, 1 more thing. PLEASE do go get your 30 days chip. It will help you as much as others to see your progress. You never know, someone just a few hours sober could be at that meeting and after seeing you get your chip, realize that they too can accomplish it.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuckyLaura View Post
My habit for the last several-many years has been to down two bottles of wine a night ... EVERY night. Even when I would wake up and felt like I was crawling out of a deep hole, and swearing I would "take the night off." Even when I would drag myself into work and just barely be able to go through the motions. But by 5:00 p.m. ... EVERY NIGHT ... I'm back in the store with a jug of wine in my cart.
Welcome LuckyLaura! And congratulations on 30 Days...

I love how you introduced yourself! I drank exactly like that too. Doesn't it feel great to start building up consecutive sober days???

Keep on Keep'n on!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Laura and congrats on your 30 days

D