Do we really listen to what we hear. . .

Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Do we really listen to what we hear. . .

When I started attending Al-Anon meetings, I was so overwhelmed by all the information. Steps, Traditions, Slogans, all the Books, get a sponsor, ~ not to mention all the pain, anger and disappointment of the many years of dealing with the disease of alcoholism

I wanted something different but could I really change? It seemed impossible.

but at the end of each meeting they read The Closing

In closing, I would like say that the opinions expressed here were strictly those of the person who gave them, take what you like and leave the rest.
The things you heard were spoken in confidence and should be treated as confidential. Keep them within the walls of this room and the confines of your mind.
A few special words to those of you who haven’t been with us long. Whatever your problems, there are those among us who have had them too. If you try to keep an open mind you will find help. You will come to realize that there is no situation to difficult to better and no unhappiness to great to be lessened.
We aren’t perfect. The welcome we give you may not show the warmth we have in our hearts for you. After a while, you’ll discover that though you may not like all of us you‘ll love us in a special way – the same way we already love you.
Talk to each other, reason things out with someone else, but let there be no gossip or criticism of one another. Instead let the understanding, love and peace of the program grow in you one day at a time.

and these words touched me ~
I knew that my shares were heard by new friends & not going to be the local gossip the next day
I learned that each of you have walked a path similiar to my past - maybe not exactly the same ~ but similiar
IF I kept an open mind, things could be different ~ I could be different
They weren't perfect so that means I didn't have to be perfect.
A warm welcome from the heart and they loved me - when I didn't think I had anything worth loving
I could talk with these new found friends without worry of gossip or criticism ~ I could just be me.
Understanding, love and peace was shared with me so that I could learn how to have it & share it too

Now I know this is NOT an Al-Anon only forum ~ but I do know this closing offers several suggestions to ME on how to treat newcomers, oldtimers, our family and ourselves ~
FOR ME ~ it helps me to remember to share healthy compassion, no criticism and understanding, love and peace ~

Just wanted to share ~ to see if anyone else found wisdom in the simply closing ~ my home group knows if Ms. PINK is at the meeting ~ she is going to ask for the long closing ~ lol ~ probably even have someone read it at my funeral ~ that's how special it is to me.

may the understanding, love & peace of the program grow in each of YOU - ODAT

pink hugs
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

its funny, i remember walking in and if i didnt listen to any of the meeting...the closing i always REMEMBERed saying and always repeating....along with the Serenity Prayer...

i did alot of listening in those meetings....saying the closing was important (to me)
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My very first meeting this really touched me. It made me feel safe and comfortable.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been going to Al anon regularly for almost a year. I didn't get a sponsor until June 24th this year & made that my actual recovery bday. My XAP broke up with me in July. A lot of that Al anon closing was just nice words to me until the breakup. Then the phrases, "Whatever your problems, there are those among us who have had them too," and "You will come to realize that there is no situation too difficult to be bettered and no unhappiness too great to be lessened," took on whole new meanings to me. Those are the reasons I keep going back. I know I'm pretty sick in my disease, but I look to all the others who are further in their recovery and I have hope and know it's possible to get better.