Notices

New here

Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi,

I've just turned 30, I'm married with 3 kids. I have a major binge drinking problem that is really effecting my family. I keep thinking I can control it, I will go weeks with just having a few drinks here an there, but then there will be one time when I go past that point (over 4 or so drinks) n I can't stop myself from excessively drinking all night an ignoring my wife while I'm out til 5am drinking. It really is effecting my family and I really want to stop, I tell myself after each time " I don't want to do it again" and I get really motivated. I will stop for up to 3 weeks, but then ill do a all night binges again.

I'm soo upset, depressed, angry that I can't stop.

I really love my family and don't want to lose them from alcohol.

Please help
Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.

I hope that you can fully accept that alcohol is no longer an option in your life, ever. Is there a trigger that causes you to drink after 3 weeks? If so, this could be something to avoid, whether it's people or places or activities.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Welcome to SR; this is a great place to begin a life of SOBRIETY. I'm a married 54yo who almost lost it all to drinking. I'm with Anna; until you can accept you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable you'll likely maintain the cycle; and if there are triggers, you need to get help with those. As opposed to AA as I was initially, I found it to be a great place to be with others JUST LIKE ME, in so many ways, who I could relate to and find support in our similarities. I took what I take from AA what I need and leave the rest. AA along with other tools including SR.com have given me my life back. Good Luck and take it One Day At A Time, It Works!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You can do it Xez! We're so glad you joined the family.

I'd been drinking my whole life when I came here. I was way past 30 - but I knew way back then that I had no control. If only I'd stopped when it first caused me trouble, like you're planning to do. My life would've been completely different. Be proud of yourself for seeing the problem and doing something about it now, before your life is out of control. Not drinking at all guarantees no unexpected drunken behavior, no hangovers, no guilt or remorse the next day. There's no need to put yourself through that! Stay here with us and keep posting. You can do this.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been binging and abusing alcohol for over 15years, but lately my binges have been out of control, I've tryed many times to stop it in past 2yrs, but can't seem to do it. Any advice on new things to try?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Xezydx View Post
I've been binging and abusing alcohol for over 15years, but lately my binges have been out of control, I've tryed many times to stop it in past 2yrs, but can't seem to do it. Any advice on new things to try?
You'll get lots of suggestions on this site. If you are an alcoholic of my type, you will try every single one of them, except AA. AA is left as the last resort, when everything else has failed and there are no other options left. When approached from a situation of such desperation AA often works. It did for me, when I was ready.

But perhaps you are not as stupid as me, or as prejudiced. My ignorance and prejudice almost killed me, come to think of it. Perhaps you can see the progression, recognise the loss of control and choice. Perhaps you could approach AA with an open mind and avoid all the pain and humiliation the future holds. It has worked for millions of alcoholics of my type. Maybe it would work for you too!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your comments, I'm going to put a plan together to stop. An see how it goes. Its been good for me to read through this site an realise that others r going through same thing.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope we can help you stop drinking. A sober life is so rewarding.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi, I'm another AA'er and just wanted to tell you, it can be done. You are not alone - and that's my message. Others have been where you have, and have gotten sober. You'll have to take some action. Mine was AA, and there are other methods as well.