Call me on this when I deny the progression.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Call me on this when I deny the progression.

We are home from vacation.
You might remember me saying I wasn't going to drink whilst away.
On my A's first beer run he came back with a bottle of gin for me.
In all honesty that would have been normal on vacation a couple of years ago but that bottle would then last me months.
Whilst we were away this time it was only opened when he poured me one that I didn't actually get around to drinking.
We got home last night. I woke this morning to discover he had drank the whole bottle last night. A whole fifth of gin.
Please remind me of this when I type about my man who just "drinks too much beer" and everything else is "kind of okay"
I'm actually shocked.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

For many years, I only drank beer. I never cared for hard liquor unless it was the occasional pina colada or an occasional margarita.

By the time I checked myself into detox, in my freezer was a bottle of gin and bottle of vodka and on my counter was a handle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. I rarely drank beer anymore.

Alcoholism is progressive. It never gets better. It only gets worse without help.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A fifth of gin could kill a normal person. That seems like a serious booze addiction.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
A fifth of gin could kill a normal person. That seems like a serious booze addiction.
Yeah. That is where "this crowd" runs.

Had an Uncle -- ran a contracting business in South Florida -- a bunch of our family worked for/with him. I was his "driver." Needed one due to the drinking.

He would do a 1/5 of Vodka in the morning. Have it with backyard-grown, hand-picked grapefruit, and then a case (24) of beer before bedtime. Every day. Sometimes we would share some of the beer.

Serious drinkers are serious about their drinking.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My father has done that. While drinking lots of vodka even before that. We still can't understand how he's alive, he's had bladder cancer for a very long time...and heart surgery. We can only assume that he has pickled himself. it's very scary and all my mom did was get mad at him...yet she still drinks happily along with him. Shocker that I married an "recovered" addict and am now getting divorced.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi jj;
You may want to watch "High on Alcohol", a National Geographic channel documentary. I found it... well, sobering.

In it, you meet a young man, late 20s, in the most horrific throes of alcohol addiction. I won't spoil the ending. But. Have the tissues handy.

I mention it because one time, I came upon my xABF staggering across the bedroom with a fifth of whiskey in one hand, and a large Gatorade in the other, pounding them back together.

His explanation was that he was "tapering off". Tapering off, with a nearly empty fifth in one hand.

I wanted to believe him, so badly, that I tried to mentally scrub my brain of that image so we could limp along for a while more together.

Since breaking up, and watching that film, I have the image of two-fisted xABF burned into the backs of my eyelids. I don't think I will ever forget it, but hopefully, with time it will fade.

Alcoholism is indeed progressive. And devastating if left untreated. I hope you keep coming back here for support, jj. We are pulling for you. ((hugs))
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jess - re-reading old posts to refresh, it happened he had tried to be sober on his own volition. He at some point drank again, but when he returns he drinks multiple days in a row - and hard. It seems once he's fallen from wagon, the combined self-shame and desire to drink takes over. He is unable to moderate - have a few and leave it. He is unwilling to accept that. He's an A.

I'd like to quote an earlier post of yours:
Eventually I gave in and said "What is it you want right now? Do you want us to be over?" He said "the way things are right now with you judging every mouthful I drink....Yes"
People who are not alcoholics do not choose alcohol abuse over their loved ones.