Notices

Will I be able to do this?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I be able to do this?

My last drink was Sunday night(10/13/13), so i guess this is day 4 for me of being dry from alcohol. I say dry because I haven't made it to an A.A. meeting yet, but plan to by this weekend.

I've been wondering, especially today, how I will do with this whole "getting sober" thing. I went about 7 months on my own without a drink about 5 years ago. I never once went to a meeting during that time, so I'm surprised I was able to go that long with just willpower. My plan is to get to A.A. meetings and see how much I can accomplish if I put the work necessary into living a sober lifestyle, but I'm apprehensive and afraid to embark on a new lifestyle which I haven't known for the last 15 years.

I guess I'm just posting this in here to try and get some advice from some folks who were in the same boat as I am at one time. Sobriety is scary at first, this I know. Hopefully I will be able to get it together finally and live a productive, healthy, and sober lifestyle, because this drinking to constant blackout stage isn't getting me anywhere but deeper in a hole that I am unable to climb out of...

Thanks for reading..

Best Wishes,

-A guy who hopes to turn things around
Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great to read your post, Inkwell. I'm struggling with this, too--how to adjust to a sober life. So much of it used to revolve around when, where and how to get my next drink that I find myself on a very different course right now. It's an adjustment, for sure.

Posting here, and your meetings, both sound like great opportunities to find new meaning for yourself, too.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a great plan Keep posting!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First off, Inkwell, welcome to SR. And congratulations on making it to Day 4. You will find a great deal of support and helpful advice here. I hope you will read the forums and post often.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support... I'll try and come here regularly.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit using my own willpower alone for a year a while back - actually over ten years ago I am suddenly horrified to realise! It was tough and I was never comfortable because the sober me didn't find a way past the reasons drinking was so useful and appealing when I began in my early adulthood.

I go to AA now and not only is it easier because of the peer support, the discussion and the like, but I am beginning to address some of the issues referred to above.

So my short answer is yes - you will be able to do this!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just like you I am on day4, first time at this after 10 years of drinking.. I haven't mustard up the courage to go to AA. I am currently using support of friend/family and SR
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Inkwell18, congrats on day 4. It's good that you have a plan. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, you'll be able to do it. if you make it your #1 priority.

and you've done it in the past. 7 months sober is not an easy feat. it shows that you have the strength and willpower.

as far as any specific plan, that's entirely up to you how to proceed as long as you have some support and some "tools" in-place to continue your sober lifestyle.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, you can do this. just remember - it's not forever, it's just for today, one day at a time.

AA is working out so well for me - i've yet to leave a meeting feeling worse than when i went in. i've just been to my 18th in 16 days and i can't recommend it highly enough.

be well. it works if you work it.